My chickens are trying to lay two eggs a day, the second egg is soft and can get stuck.

OhDangBro

Chirping
Oct 26, 2020
Hey All,

I have four chickens, 3 isa browns and one ror. The three isa's are all related and lay everyday. Some days they try to lay a second egg but it ends up soft and getting stuck. I guess they get egg bound? They eventually do get the second soft shell out but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? They always lay one normal hard shelled egg, but every once in awhile (it seems more recent as spring has come) on different days, each isa goes through this problem. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this? The isa's are all about one year of age, no signs of illness. They free range most of the time.

Last edited:
Some more information: they have access to oyster shells 24/7, they get the egg shells fed back to them. This doesn't happen with the ROR.

Not sure there is anything you can do.
ISA's are high production birds, thus the releasing of multiple ova(yolks) a day.
The soft shell eggs are harder to get out, not necessarily egg bound.

Are they eating the OS?
What all else are they fed?

Not sure there is anything you can do.
ISA's are high production birds, thus the releasing of multiple ova(yolks) a day.
The soft shell eggs are harder to get out, not necessarily egg bound.

Are they eating the OS?
What all else are they fed?
They are eating the OS and they eat a 16% layer feed.

Hey All,

I have four chickens, 3 isa browns and one ror. The three isa's are all related and lay everyday. Some days they try to lay a second egg but it ends up soft and getting stuck. I guess they get egg bound? They eventually do get the second soft shell out but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? They always lay one normal hard shelled egg, but every once in awhile (it seems more recent as spring has come) on different days, each isa goes through this problem. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle this? The isa's are all about one year of age, no signs of illness. They free range most of the time.
Idk what’s happened but maybe after they lay the eggs close the nesting boxes

Back
Top Bottom