My chickens aren’t laying

Thank you! I have been using diatomaceous earth in the henhouse but possibly not enough. I’ll ramp it up. and try to examine them.
DE won't work to prevent or kill and infestation.
Regularly check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Forgot to mention that they didn’t molt during our hot and steamy Gulf Coast summer. That surprised me.
Molting happens when the days grow shorter in their second fall/winter.

DE won't work to prevent or kill and infestation.
Regularly check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Molting happens when the days grow shorter in their second fall/winter.
Thanks! I may have deleted my first attempt to say thanks after discovering how to edit.

Going back to basic “how to” beginner threads!

Back
Top Bottom