my chickens ate thir own egg

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by omartorres, Nov 7, 2011.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    how can i prevent my chiockens from eating their eggs:(

2. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Once they start I have heard you can't stop them, find out who it is and cull her..

3. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Search the forum a bit. Some people recommend putting golf balls or plastic eggs in the nests. I did the 'fill a blown egg with mustard' thing and I'm pretty sure I'm getting all my eggs now. Got six today.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Not necessarily. A lot of chickens will be opportunistic and eat a soft or shell-less egg, or an egg that has dropped and broken and never eat a normal. hard shelled egg.

Omartorres, were the eggs that were eaten normal, hard shelled eggs?

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They can be broken of egg eating, but it may not be easy or permanent.
    You can try like mentioned before filling blown out eggs with mustard, horseradish or liquid soap. The idea is that by making eggs less tasty they will leave them alone.
    Use fake eggs in the nests.
    Collect eggs often, get to them before they do.
    Make the nests dark. Some people have even resorted to curtains in front of the nests.
    I had success a few years ago by rearranging things in the coop. I think I shook them up a bit.
    And as a last resort there are roll away nests, the eggs roll away after being layed, so the hens cannot reach them.

Good luck,

Imp

6. RoyRooster

RoyRooster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Some say that chickens may begin eating their own eggs if they have a calcium deficiency. You could try giving some oyster shells and add some golf balls for a double pronged approach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by