My chickens caught a crow!!

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
Have had trouble with crows taking chicken food so decided to roof over the chicken coop. Also ,y chickens were breaking out into the m-i-lw's garden next door and making a mess. pooing everywhere. So, I roofed it. Just need to extend the gate height to the roof and presto, chicken proof run. However, I let them in my garden all day. With having guests for dinner, and their little boy being nervous of the chickens I put them back in the run. While having dinner this evening, my m-i-l came banging on the back door to tell me there was murder going on..

A chancy crow had flown in the only gap above the gate door, about 18 inches square and got in woth the chiockens and couldn't get out. They tormented the crow!! Feathers everywhere, black corw feathers!! I ended up shooing the corw into the coop, shutting the door and letting out eh back door into the garden. Don't think that one will be coming back for an easy meal!!!

I saw 30+ crows there recently stealing food, so my sympathies are non-existent here...

Ha ha good on your gang of vigilantes. Wish my lot would stand up to the crows a bit more, even though in one of our runs they have formed a bloodthirsty mob on more than one occasion to the detriment of several robbing crows and cheecky jackdaws. 2/3 down, about 100 to go! We live surrounded by a collection of rookeries and what ever jackdaw cities are called, with the occasional magpie and nasty greycrow swooping in for (bad luck). Not alone are they stealing all the food meant for my chicken chickens but they clean me out of eggs at the same time......I may as well get rid of the hens all together and settle for well fed crows! I'm a vegetarian pacifist but ooo that lot bring out the vengeful carnivore in me. Thanks for letting me rant.... Vive la Resistance!!!
somad.gif

They are getting rice, mashed potatoes and cereal for breakfast even though I have no leftovers today!! Might even go digging worms for them too... way to go chickens!!

That's hilarious, almost exactly the same thing happened to me just yesterday!

I was feeding the chickens one morning, and I saw a couple of doves on the fence that were waiting for me to leave so that they could steal something tasty. The same afternoon, I heard something strange going on in the chicken coop. I thought they were just conversing loudly or fighting over another cricket, so I left them alone. After awhile, I decided to check it out since it quieted down. To my suprise, those doves were both completely gone, not even in my yard somewhere else. I opened the coop door, and I saw a big pile of dove feathers all over the place, and especially near the food. I saw my big boy watching extremely closely around the food, I then knew exactly what happened.
lol.png

I swear it looked like they ate the dove, it wasn't a pretty sight. There wasn't any blood, just lots and lots of feathers. I haven't seen those doves since. Those chickens will do all they can to protect what's theirs!

I like crows! They warn my chickens about hawks and drive them off , especially in the winter when there are no other birds around to shout warnings. I wish we had more of them around here, and am thinking of ways to attract them, but i can't think of anything that wouldn't involve feeding the squirrels. . .

Kay

my rooster used to chase the robins all over the yard in circles until they would fly away and then he got all proud of himself and would run around flapping his wings
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom