My chickens chaising me + Shell-less eggs?

Pecky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Wanup, Canada
I find it adorable when i go into the yard and my chickens chase me around. And its not like they are trying to peck me or anything, because if I stop running from them they just come over and eat grass near me.. Any ideas why they might chaise me? ^_^

Also, one of my chickens layed 2 shell-less eggs.. Why do they lay shell-less eggs??

We added oyster shells to their food, and the shell-less eggs stopped, but still. Why.

LOL!!! I'm on a roll, answering you questions....hubby's fishing with my brother, so I got nothing else to do....they lay shell-less eggs for a number of reasons, some because of health problems but usually because of lack in diet. The chickens needed CALCIUM, which is what their shells are made of. Without calcium their bodies can't make the shells, therefore you get shell-less eggs. Also, make sure they are either getting a layer feed (designed specially for laying hens) or have oyster shell readily available for them to munch on. You can also recycle their old shells after you eat the eggs....bake the empty shells to kill the bacteria (I don't remember what temps, I'll have to check) then grind them up and offer it to them free choice. Saves some money here and there on calcium supplements like oyster shell!!!

P.S. They chase you because they love you!!! LOL!!! Actually, it's probably because they think you have a wonderful treat for them, and even if you don't they stay next to you hoping for a handout. It's proof that you spoil your chickens and take good care of them!!!

Last edited:
Yepp we thought it was calcium problems. We have a very nice feed seller man that has all organic food for our chickens, that is perfect for laying hens. :)

But what about the chickens chasing me? xD
I think its adorable, is it normal?

It's completely normal!!! Mine actually come when I whistle a certain way, because they've figured out that I usually have food for them and they don't want to miss out. They see you the benevolent treat giver, and don't want to pass up a chance to get something...pretty smart, I'd say....What breeds do you have???

Back
Top Bottom