My chicken's comb is half torn off. Need HELP!!

Hi
I'm new here!
My chicken's comb is torn and part of it is hanging. I have read on here that the best thing to do is simply trim it off. I have to admit, I'm feeling really squeamish about this - and won't it hurt her dreadfully?
I've had hens for over 6 years - this is the first time I've come across this. Not even sure how it's happened. She seems pretty normal, scratching and pecking and running around. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

If it isn`t bothering her, just let it be. If it is bothering her, use a sharp scissor and just snip it off. Get someone to hold her while you work. Once it`s done, use some blood stop powder or even some baking flour on the cut area to stop the bleeding. It`s best done in the evening about an hour before they roost so you can be sure the bleeding stops. Don`t wory about hurting her. Once the deed is done, she`ll act as if nothing happened. Takes about 2 weeks for the scab to heal. They are tougher than we are........Pop

Hi Cheet,
Last year I ended up trimming Vita's comb because it was becoming discolored & I feared infection and/or pecking by the other hens. I "chickened out" the first time I held her firmly in my lap. It was very intimidating. But, I got up the courage and with my sharpest sheers, snipped the torn section off very quickly. I would guess she tore it when jumping from the perch in the coop to the pop door--and scraped it hard against the top of the opening. After cutting off the torn section, I swiped the wound with a Qtip loaded Neosporin which I had prepared and put next to me before picking her up. Vita healed up perfectly. That's our story--good luck treating your girl (or not treating her).

So appreciate your experienced advice.
I ended up taking Henny to the vets as i just simply couldn't bring myself to get the scissors out.
The lovely vet ended up stitching the comb back properly and now she's as good as new (however, I'm £55 out of pocket!! - the things we do for our birds!!!)
Thank you so much.
Cheet
x

I came home today to a bloody nest box and a possibly torn comb. I am assuming that the victim was taking too long in the nest box and another hen tried pulling her out by the comb? It was also the first time there has been more then 1 egg in the nest box (there were 4 today!!). She has a little blood in her feathers and some spots on her comb but I don't think it's too bad. Any thoughts on not treating her with anything? None of them are good at getting caught and held...don't really want to cause even more stress. Also, the other 3 don't seem to be bothering her.
Thoughts are welcome.
Thanks

Quote:
When they go to roost tonight I would remove as much blood as possible off the damaged bird. Birds are attracted to blood and will pick at anything resembling a wound. Once the blood is gone the bird should be OK as long as the wound is not very obvious. The biggest danger is from picking by other birds. Infections in chickens are pretty rare for such minor injuries, so opting not to treat it is no big deal. Save everyone the stress and let it be.

Good luck.

I have a similar problem... My 12 week old buff Orpington rooster was attacked by my other rooster and the back part of his comb is partially detached. I'm worried about blood flow and he was shaking his head and making weird noises. Any advice?

Im a Sewer and one of the things I keep in the chicken supplies is a small pair of Knife-edge scissors. My Walmart carries them in the wall of scissors in sewing supplies. Deadly sharp, and will do a comb trim when needed.

my hen seems to have chunks of her comb taken off it doesn´t bother her because that part usually hangs down but its really red i don´t want to cut it off though, none of the other chickens bother her but its really red and bloody, i don´t know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom