My chickens don’t like me

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I have 13 week old chickens, one pullet and one cockerel (both Brahma Sussex mix) whom I hand raised and hatched myself. They were the sweetest birds while I raised them inside for almost 5 weeks and we’re easily handled and loved. Once I slowly integrated them into my flock with the see no touch method, they became disinterested in me. They are fully integrated now although the two pair off from the rest of the flock mostly. They run from me and seem frightened. Why do they not like me any longer? Is this a phase? I don’t recall my other birds being like this! They are also a pain to get back in the run after free range time. The pullet bit me when I cornered and grabbed her but the Cockeral just freaks out and then settles when I catch him. I’d like to note that the rest of my flock is a fun-loving and easy going group.

My ducks did something very similar to this. Whenever I let them free range they seperated into 2 groups. Well seemed to me like 2 got "shunned" from the flock. The 2 loners stuck together from then on. Have u noticed the other birds being mean or aggressive towards them? If so maybe that is why they don't want to go to roost.

It's not you. Chickens will be chickens. Some of mine will occasionally let me get a pet in, and I have raised most of them from chicks. A cockerel that I had handled as a chick became an attack bird. 3 which were broody raised avoid me. We also read about many people who have snuggle and lap birds, but I have come to the conclusion that breed and temperament contribute to that, as well as owner interaction. They are normal.

My chickens are 9 and 12 weeks and don’t love me lol. It makes me so sad they will eat out of my hand but if I try to hold them they just run from me. I’m hoping it gets better because they were handled a ton when they were in the brooder and always enjoyed crawling all over us.

Back
Top Bottom