my chickens don't like people :(

lisasaurus

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
i have 4 chickens - about 11 weeks old. And they won't let me pick them up at all. I have raised 2 of them since 1 day old, but ever since we moved them outside to the coop/run, they have no interest in being picked up at all. our coop is raised, and they run and hide under it any time i attempt to get near them in the run. And when they are out "free-ranging" they just take off super fast. I feel sad that i have somehow failed to make them more pet like. is there any hope? i have tried bribing them with treats, no dice. only one will even eat treats out of my hand.

they are all "friendly" breeds: australorp, BO, barred rock and brahma.

Have you tried giving them mealworms? Mine come to those like i have a handful of crack.

When all of my birds were younger and the young ones I have now, go through a stage and don't want to be picked up and handled. My little ones don't like it but my older ones don't seem to mind. They will get used to it. When my pullets started squatting they would let me pick them up and I would give them a treat. The quickest way to a chicken's heart is through it's stomach.

Also helps to simply sit nearby and let them get used to you, if you don't do this already. Drop a treat by your feet or on your shoe, and let them check you out.

Quote:
Ahh, the Grand Chicken Experiment.

So many people assume chickens are like people, or other mammals. They envision them behaving and responding as people or other, more familiar, creatures do. "If I'm nice to them, they will be nice to me..."

While they do respond to certain things we do, like bringing food to them, these are learned responses.
In the main, they are generally NOT like other creatures we are accustomed to, no matter our efforts to the contrary. They are still half-wild birds, truth be known. It is only in very recent times that the idea of a tame, friendly chicken has taken root.

In another place or time, they would be prey and everyone would know it - including the chickens themselves. Little else would be expected of them, but to be that.

Have you ever heard of a phenomenon called "The Predatory Triangle?"

Simply put, if you were to draw three lines connecting your hands and your face, they would form a triangle. The extremities of our bodies, including the hands (or claws) and the face, when seen from in front, form this 'Predatory Triangle.'
It's theorized the birds react to this almost immediately. It's the sign of a threat, which all prey animals instinctively recognize - and so run from any creature that exhibits it from straight on.
I know it's some trippy, psychological stuff. But it's why hunters (and military snipers) go to great lengths to remain unseen, and to particularly camouflage the exposed parts of their bodies extremities.

Bottom line, you represent a threat to them, especially when you approach them head on, arms outstretched in an attempt to capture them. They don't have to hear or smell you, to know you are up to no good.

The movie, "Chicken Run," got that part right. In all other things, turn that movie off and forget any further message it has to offer. Ditto for "Bambi."

So, try coming at them slowly, calmly from an obtuse angle. Never chase or rush them. In fact, sit near them and let them come to YOU. You are already offering them favored treats, and have noted one or two that are brave enough to take them. For a while, be satisfied that they approach and do take it. You may consider wearing dark gloves to break up the 'predatory lines' I mentioned.

In time, as they grow accustomed to you being there, one or two may actually accept you as a non-threat... well, until you move too fast or somehow startle them.

But know this: it is not your fault. You have done everything right.

It's just how it is with chickens.

Last edited:
Thanks Davaroo that makes a lot of sense. I have 5 girls that are about the same age and I've been having the same problem even thought they see us all day and if we get near the run they run to the opposite side and if we go in the coop they all sprint out so lisaurus, you aren't alone.

Thank goodness. I was starting to take my chics hatred of me personally. I thought for sure I'd have at least one that liked me. They are starting to get their waddles in and totally freak out when I pick them up. After I make cooing noises they relax but are initially so freaked out I worry about their little chicken hearts exploding! As long as they'll chillax in their old age I'll keep on loving them.

Back
Top Bottom