My chickens don't like snow.

Call me crazy but why not take advantage of the height of the coop and start the netting at the roof? It would give you a lot more headroom. I would drape it right over the coop and just make a cut out for the egg box if needed.

View attachment 1976154

That is an excellent suggestion. :goodpost:

It also keeps it much higher than the birds so no tangling.

My chickens aren't very "wingy" ;), so they do fine with how high the netting it. Although I will put the zip-ties back on.

Just be sure when adding a gate to have it swing out, rather than in. A person could literally have no way into the chicken yard if the gate swings in and it snows more than a dusting. And in Missouri, we often get an inch or two of snow, then ice on top. Very hard to break through.
This is a good time to remind new chicken tenders that gates and latches freeze shut (or open) when you get a freezing rain or snow. My handle on the pulley for the chicken door freezes in place, so I have to carry out a jug of hot water when I go out first thing in the morning.

That’s a good idea, but I think I’ll be coating the slide-latches with petroleum jelly or a natural oil, since they’re so small. So far I’ve been able to take one glove off and thaw them enough by just holding them snugly for a minute. I haven’t had the carabiners I added freeze yet, but I expect they will with more cold rain this winter.

0B2DD6A8-3F38-4844-9E7A-F18BB1AC2C2E.jpeg

we got a bit of snow here too; I have two Roos who’re sharing an up/down duplex inside an old raised-beds garden. The coop and run are screwed securely down to a solid wooden deck, but the garden has just deer fencing and no top netting except over a dog kennel to make a space for the newer Roo.. our birds are Orpington and Astralorp, probably too big to be prey for the hawks in our neighborhood.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! :) I hope ya'll are doing well! :D
Well, I think winter is here - because I have about 5 inches of snow outside and its still coming down.
Now, I like snow. :thumbsup But my chickens don't.

When I opened there coop door this morning, they were about to come out but then - they saw the snow. They stayed in the coop. Well, they are still in there right now! They are getting restless and bored....I don't really want that.

1. How do I keep them from getting bored?
2. How do I teach them to "like" snow?

My coop is not the biggest, but its awesome in summer because they are outside almost the whole day. Its also their first winter (young chickens) so this is to be expected, right? Will they get used to it? When will they come out?
Where I am, we have long (about 5 months) winters.

Thanks for reading~any advice is welcome. :)

- Clucky

P.S
My run is not covered, and I don't think its possible to cover this winter.

my chickens don’t like the first snowfall but after being in the coop they venture out. My run is completely enclosed and covered with bird netting. Lots of hawk and eagles in my area. I have a separate room for their food and water.

Attachments

• E6FD6DC2-4B8F-4692-B32D-C214F1344B04.jpeg
    E6FD6DC2-4B8F-4692-B32D-C214F1344B04.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 11
  • A9E34847-4985-4AF0-ADA0-5F6B890F004E.jpeg
    A9E34847-4985-4AF0-ADA0-5F6B890F004E.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom