My Chickens Drowned in a Flood! (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Relheok, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Relheok

Relheok In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Northeast Kingdom, VT
    So I finally put my 6 week old Brahma's in their new coop two days ago. We got TERRIBLE rain last night. When I got home from work late, I moved the coop to higher ground and went to bet. I woke up to 3" of water in my house, my shed had 6 feet of water and the higher ground wasn't high enough. My poor chickens all drowned. I feel bad especially after only moving them out 2 nights ago. They were my first chickens, and now they are gone. I think I will wait a while to clean everything up and get the coop setup as a brooder this time. The flood was something that no one around here has ever seen. Anyways, time to research new birds. Maybe' I'll get Brahma's again, but not sure.

****I cleaned out the coop today, got rid of the soaking wet pine shavings and the chickens. I'll be finishing the coop completely, paint, roofing etc. before I start another brood****

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

3. YYZ

YYZ Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    Sorry also for your loss. You couldnt have prevented something like that. Mother nature wins again.

4. Sorry to hear about your chickens.

Please don't beat yourself up. You had no idea that would have happened.

[​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Doesn't sound as if you could have prevented it.

6. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry for your loss - nothing you could have done to prevent it. Glad you are going to try again.

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    These things happen sometimes. Don't be discouraged, this weather has been insane lately. [​IMG]

8. Relheok

Relheok In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Northeast Kingdom, VT
    I just finished building that coop 3 days ago. It pisses me off to no end. All that work, the time in raising them. I didn't lose a single chick! Then the coop gets damaged and the chicks all die. It will be moved AGAIN to much higher ground. I also think I am going to order chicks and not buy them through TSC this time.

9. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    I'm so sorry to hear about your poor chicks. [​IMG]

10. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    oh my. that is so sad. i'm very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by