My Chicken's Face turns from Red to Pale to Red Again

afangel2005

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Panama City, FL
Hello All!!

My chickens are currently 14 1/2 weeks old, and I've been noticing that my Buff Orpington and Silver Laced Wyandotte's faces turn from red to pale, or pale to red, and it happens within minutes. It is hot here in Florida, but they have plenty of shade and water.

Is this anything to be worried about? They seem to be very happy and healthy chickens.

These pictures were taken within minutes of each other. There is a much bigger difference than what's shown in these pictures, that show better when the pictures are larger (or in person):

Thanks!

Last edited:
The capacity to change redness of face, comb and wattles voluntarily is part of their visual communication system. Maturity and health issues aside. the birds can flush or blush when asserting themselves. An bird being aggressive / in present of a subordinate will blush while a low ranking bird will reduce blood flow. Changes take only seconds.

When my hens are coming into lay they also blush which seems to turn roosters on.

I think it's pretty normal. They use their combs and wattles for cooling and the blood courses through there. With them being 14 weeks they are spinning up to lay so you will see them red much more often.

In an adult bird if they suddenly become pale and stay pale and the chicken becomes lethargic. That can signal an illness.

I think what you are seeing is a normal fluxuation. Good catch on the pics! Clear face pics are hard to get.

No, it's definitely their faces. I sit out with them and watch their faces turn colors before my eyes. And the color difference is much stronger in person versus on the camera.

It seems to be when they are running around or go "on alert", their faces turn more red, and when they are relaxing, their faces are more pale.

Thanks for the comment! I edited my original post, didn't do a good job proofreading...; }

Last edited:
It's the same thing as blushing. Happens when they get excited or ?? as you noticed.

I see it all the time but then my chickens are mostly naked necks, the blushing is much more apparent on them. In fact like you, many first time naked neck owners become concerned the first time they notice it haha.

Nothing to worry about... also when the girls are mature and start laying eggs, usually you don;t see their blushes so easily.. their skin gets thicker and the face mostly stays a similar shade of red while laying.

Looking pale.

These sisters are various shades of pink. The one in the front with the shrunken comb is ill. She was suffering from heavy metal poisoning at the time of this photo. Note her crouched appearance.

Three sisters the same age. The one in the middle is going pale.

Look how pale Maple is. Note her alert expression. She's fine.

Little Sister losing color. She ruled the roost and ordered everybody around.

This pale hen is finishing her molt.

As a side note a severely dehydrated chicken can have a red comb which will fool us into thinking the bird is not sick.

Back
Top Bottom