My chickens feathers are all messed up

Sonia Gawlas

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 13, 2017
So a few months ago , during molting season one of my chickens molted but once her feathers grew back they were all stiff, and messed up and kind of ugly. Before she molted they were fine; she even had one of the prettiest feathers of the flock, so i guess what im asking is if this is fixable ? Or is this some kind of illness/condition ? Im not sure what couldve caused this and all the others chickens were fine after molting, its just her that has weird feathers now. She doesnt act sick, shes actually one of the friendliest and most active hens we have she often comes up to people and she loves to talk, she eats and drinks well but im not sure if she lays bc ive never seen her in a nest but then again i dint watch ever chicken lay so it might just be that ive never witnessed it. I really hope this is fixable or at least that shes healthy.

Attachments

• 8B9CB0B8-BB73-4CD9-AEB1-BFFA9D50C25F.jpeg
    8B9CB0B8-BB73-4CD9-AEB1-BFFA9D50C25F.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 31
6DB29F92-3ADA-4437-8622-F86380A2827E.jpeg
Does your hen look like this? This is my SLW Alice. She molted, and her feathers grew back like this. Alice eventually died of lymphoid leucosis.

If you repost your photo and click on "insert" then select "full size", it will post larger and also allow us to zoom in and see much more detail.

View attachment 2664696Does your hen look like this? This is my SLW Alice. She molted, and her feathers grew back like this. Alice eventually died of lymphoid leucosis.

If you repost your photo and click on "insert" then select "full size", it will post larger and also allow us to zoom in and see much more detail.
Omg yes she kind of does look like that, theyre even the same breed im pretty sure. Was the cause of death related to the feather situation or was it just something she contracted/ got out of the blue and caused her passing ?
254B6C1A-7240-4283-A237-748F40CF5E25.jpeg
848AB608-8FBB-4773-B470-047E3FE798B4.jpeg

I dont have any good pictures of her, maybe ill take some tomorrow and include them so i am sorry for the blurryness.
Also , im very sorry for your loss :(.

This is very like Marek's. Similar symptoms, cancer tumors, etc. No cure.

Look at the chicken's skin around the feather follicles. Do you see any raised bumps around the feather bases?

My rooster has the same problem but only on its flight feathers like the feathers have been untangled, idk

Back
Top Bottom