1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My chickens ganged up on a chihuahua.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    We are temporarily keeping this chihuahua mix until we can find the owner. I intro'd her to the girls.. And well.. They ganged up around her clucking and one of them pecked her eye. I quickly picked her up and took her inside, her eye is fine (THANK GOODNESS) but I didn't think the chickens had it in them. They run away from the occasional cat that gets in my yard but they go after a chihuahua themselves.

Little chi-terrier (I believe that's what she is) acts like she has never seen chickens before.

Anyone else have brave chickens?

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    My girls got after our dog (mini-Boxer, he weighs about 30 lb.) the first time they were ever all out in the yard together. He keeps his distance now, haha. They have also managed to terrorize the cats that my neighbors allow to roam loose......you have to step careful in my backyard because of the chicken poop, but no more cat poop in my yard!

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I have a little long haired chihuahua and we let him see the chickens for the first time yesterday. He completly ignored them but they stared him down tryin to intimidate him. He didn't even care.

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Sophie is our Chiu/Jack Russell mix, she is 10 weeks old, and almost 2 weeks ago I took her out to meet the girls. She ignored them, but the girls ran everywhere. Second time I took Sophie out there, they girls ignored Sophie. Owl our Roo will come up & look at her, or if Sophie is in his way, he will peck at her, and she ignores him. Yesterday I took some lettuce out for the girls & Sophie got a small leaf, and was laying down, playing with it. One of my EE came over and took it away from her, Sophie just rolled over on her side and watched.
    Sophie will get frisky from time to time, and puppy bound after them, then gets bored & lays down in the dirt.

Now I think the chickens think she is a chicken, my 15 chicks are 15 week (10), 13 weeks(3) & 11 weeks(2).

It is fun to watch them, I even have a few that when I pet them, they are squatting. Hope that means I get eggs before Halloween. I figured I would not see eggs time after Thanksgiving.[​IMG]

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    My dogs lay under the deck with the chickens. They are mutts. Other times one of the dogs will lay in the yard and the birds just walk around as if it's no big deal. My daughters dog on the other hand.......... gotta watch her. She has killed several babies and I am not to happy about that. She is on my @hit list at the moment. The dog is a yr old with plenty of puppy still in her but I have to draw a line somewhere. What is really funny is a chicken goosing a goose........ lol.

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Our chihuahua Maggie is the guard dog for the flock. She walks around the chicken yard and visits with all the chicks and they don't seem to mind her at all. If I sit down on a chair in the yard, they all come to visit me and Maggie just sniffs them and occasionally pushes them on with her nose. It helps that they grew up as chicks with the chichuahua supervising their every move.

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Ours grew up actually roosting on one of our dogs. They are comfortable around them. They attack toes though, especially pretty painted ones!

8. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I've had a hen with chicks chase off a donkey that was grazing to close. I've also have had hens with chicks attack and kill a call duck. Never underestimate them. I feel bad for that poor little dog.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had some wild rabbits get in the yard. It was hysterical to watch them chase it around the yard. [​IMG]

10. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Quote:OMG! Our chihuahua went through the same thing! We brought our's out to the chickens, and he couldn't have cared less! That is so funny! (BTW, our's is a short-hair, tri-color.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by