my chickens got a scorpion!

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
today the ladies found a bug in the pen, they started the usual game of chase and I couldn't tell what they had. My BO had it and stopped dead in her tracks, dropped it and scratched her face. That got me curious... the next on picked it up and the same thing, I looked and sure enough it was a scorpion. My BR got it and ate it, but I think it was dead by then. My BO keeps shaking her head and scratching, I don't see any swelling yet. The scorpions here are supposed to not be any worse than a wasp. Should I be concerned about the one that actually ate it? I know to keep watch on the ones that got stung, but as far as I know there isn't much I can do for them. Any suggestions??

Mine eat them all the time! Even little chicks sometimes catch and kill them when they're with their broody mom. Your bird may have been stung, but if it's just one of the small black ones, I doubt there will be any real damage. From experience, I know what it's like to be stung by one and it does smart a bit.

Thanks speckledhen! I was just concerned, it's probably not their first, just the first I have seen. The scorpions are out and about here lately, probably b/c of all the rain, they don't like water. I am fairly new to Central Texas and didn't see my first scorpion until June of this years, I've been here 3 years, But new to country livin!

Back
Top Bottom