1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens hate me :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristenE, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KristenE

KristenE New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    My girls are about 8 weeks old or so. They have a beautiful new coop with a huge running area (not able to fully freerange yet bc I am afraid of the roaming dogs around here). They just freak the heck out whenever we come around! I have had them since they were a week old and handled them frequently. Recently they don't even come right out in the morning when I open their house and are spending a lot of time in the house just chilling on their roost looking out the window. It hot here in central Texas, but I figured the inside was hotter than hanging in the shade.
    HELP!!!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, don't worry - they are going through the "teen-aged" phase anyway. Keep up your work with them despite them being spazzy right now. It will pay off later.

And have patience. [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    First off....[​IMG]

this is my remedy! Treats, bring lots of treats and slowly toss them and keep some in your hand and they'll love you more and more each day. Also try sitting out there with them and just talk to them or read a book, that will get them used to you again and they won't be as nervous. I've had that problem numerous times, it's almost as if they completly lose their memory from age 1 week to adulthood lol! Sometimes they just need a little bribery [​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Live meal worms work great for improving that loving feeling....

[​IMG]

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:ok what are the apples in? is that feed? My 13 week old chicks love the chick started feed, when I mix it with water and make a mash out of it.. its their favorite goodie... last week I switched them to the next level of feed the finisher feed, and added scratch grains as the new goodie.. they dont like this new feed mash like they did the other. ( it doesnt stick as well in little balls like they like) as to their health.. can I keep a small bag of starter just for goodies.. or is there too much of something in it for when they become adults..

they also like their old feed rolled with yogurt into balls.

)O(
    Pink

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    mine love Poulin Scratch Feed

they come running when i call for them, my neighbors think i'm a nut.

another vote for bribery with treats.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I vote for treats too! I don't even have to call mine anymore - they see me come out the door and they all come running! If I don't have a treat, I feel guilty and quickly retreat to the kitchen to find SOMETHING! I also found that it helps to move slowly and don't make any sudden movements.

8. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I can not even get the treats sat down before they are at it. They know when I walk out, and say "hello ladies" in a high pitched voice, they come running to see what I have for them. Now I am new to the chicken world, but have to say the rest are right...treats. I try to give only healthy ones, but todays was yogurt. The 1st time I tried it, they were to young, and very scared of the bowl they wouldn't go near it. Today, not so scared, just leary, and then they hit it fast and quick !!! LOL

I am using up my bird seed too, on days where I work late. They are kept busy all day scratching around for it. The black oilers go first, then the corn, and then the rest is a slow one to eat. But they are busy,and not picking on each other [​IMG] LOL

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Yup - treats. Also, you may want to go out and sit in the coop/run with them and just hang out. Read a book or something and don't really pay attention to them. This will get them used to your presence and they will be calmer in general when you are around.
    Chickens are a lot like cats - when you want them to interact with you they have no interest, but when you are trying to do something else they are climbing all over you! [​IMG]

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:Nice mess of mealies you have going there. Are you starting another bin? [​IMG]
    My husband has already decided that if I get chickens (when I get chickens), I will be raising mealworms for them. He says for healthier eggs, I say you just want to go fishing don't you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by