My chickens have arrived!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alexisrambles, May 22, 2019.

1. alexisrambles

alexisrambles Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Louisiana
    My chickens arrived today!!! OMG!
    I already have a small problem with them getting out of the wire kennel I'm using for a brooder. Apparently mine can get some air time at two or three days old!!! I didn't expect that to be a problem for while.

I ordered from McMurray, and let me tell you, I'm very impressed so far! They're all active baby chicks, no obvious problems, and all of them survived the trip. I'm amazed. I had planned for one or two deaths, but I'm glad for that to not be a problem. Several of them are active to the point of being slightly annoying, which is a terrific surprise. I'm in southern Louisiana, and the shipping was taking longer than expected from IA. I really was worried.

D7LuAMiWsAAtujM.jpg D7LuBToXoAQ-7HL.jpg

Nardo, fldiver97, sourland and 11 others like this.
  2. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    Hello! Your chicks are adorable! I just got my first set of chicks from Meyer Hatchery last Monday. Like you, I ordered a few extra because I was worried some wouldn't make it. Thank goodness, they all arrived healthy and active and are doing well so far. I am keeping mine in a dog crate also. I lined ours with hardware cloth to make sure our cat couldn't reach in or the chicks get out. You could probably also line the inside with cardboard if they are getting out. I put cardboard in front of the door so I could open the door and reach in without them jumping out.

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 7 others like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Congratulations on the healthy babies!!

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  5. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Break down a box and use that as walls to stop them going through the wires. They definitely can slip right through the bars and chasing those fast buggers is always fun!

Enjoy your chicks!

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 11 others like this.
  6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your chick's! If those chick's are getting out through the wire crate, you can put some cardboard from boxes around it. Just make sure it goes up the side's of it high enough to keep them in there for safety.

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 9 others like this.
  7. alexisrambles

alexisrambles Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Louisiana
    Thank you guys! I'll have to see if I can do that on my lunch break! They came in RIGHT before work, so I barely had time to set them up before I had to go. I made sure they all had access to food and water and knew where the brooder was before I left, but dangit, they're jumpier than I expected! I had the bottom blocked off, but the suckers got up too high!

I'm glad there's a door on the room they're in--otherwise I'd be a LOT more worried.

Nardo, fldiver97, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    How exciting!!!!!!!! :ya
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of FUN! :wee

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Pick up a roll of hardware cloth on your way home to wrap that cage with.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<Click there to go to the thread.

BYC has an APP!

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!
    Your chicks are adorable! I just received my order of Silkie chicks today as well.

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 5 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: