My chickens have mites, and now they are in the house :(

AshleyMarieB

Hatching
Aug 13, 2020
Has anyone had this happen to them? There is so much conflicting information on the internet, looking for someone who has had experience dealing with this. I’m at my wits end getting so many bites :(. Someone please help! Already have bagged and washed and cleaned and all that but I need to get them out! How long will they survive off the chickens?

Attachments

• 2A0D78AB-4584-4C92-98D3-5E3D81E6AB64.jpeg
    2A0D78AB-4584-4C92-98D3-5E3D81E6AB64.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 25
  • 8DDB22D6-A3E5-479B-B524-E9B534E5DD05.png
    8DDB22D6-A3E5-479B-B524-E9B534E5DD05.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Ugh mites are so hard to ID. Can't really tell what kind of mite it is. Assuming it's northern fowl mite, they only seem to live for a maybe a week or so away from chickens. Red mites can survive longer.

If mite bites on you are an issue, or mites are getting into the house:

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Ugh mites are so hard to ID. Can't really tell what kind of mite it is. Assuming it's northern fowl mite, they only seem to live for a maybe a week or so away from chickens. Red mites can survive longer.

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

thanks so much for the info!

Near impossible to ID without a microscope, but most likely a northern fowl mite or tropical fowl mite. They will bite you but they prefer their bird host.
If you rigorously clean and vacuum for a week or so, I don't expect them to infest your house or anything like that.

Good advice!

Another one of the many reasons to keep wild birds and rodents out of your chicken coop. Bio security is big business for the commercial flocks and it ought to be for the back yard flocks.

Back
Top Bottom