My chickens have tiny tiny bugs on them!

Halp

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2015
I've noticed that there are little very tiny bugs on my chickens.Like hair mites just tinyer.THERE ON ME TOO!!! HELP WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE?! HOW DO I KILL THEM???

Sounds like poultry mites, they can also bite and burrow in human skin - would be tiny red dots that really itch.

Here's link on mites : https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites

Mites are more difficult to eradicate than lice and don't usually bite humans. If you think these are mites, you can get treatment recommendations from your County Agent. Or search forums, many members have had the problem and you can decide which of the treatments you want to use.

In humans the course is self limiting but painting each bite with clear nail polish can help reduce the itching.

My newest chick has little bugs going in and out of her fur.. Their white and they look like worms, I've seen two so far, one on her head and one near her bum!! What are these and how do I get rid of them??

chickens need dust bath. if you have wood ash rub it. earth would help, too. then go to the vet and get something from him. my chickens do dust bath every day and they are free of bugs. you can google dust bath chicken and find out how to make it for your chickens. even the chicks enjoy it.

Get some Diotomacious earth, put it in a sandwich baggy,put the chick in with his head sticking out and lightly shake until he is covered.

I just rubbed some soil from the garden on her.. She didn't like it but I made sure I got; her head, back, tummy, under her wings and her tail :D

Garden soil is not going to cure mites or lice.
it works for my chickens. but I live in greece and garden soil is like sand - very dusty. anything small, dusty and dry can help, as long as it is safe for chickens. wood ash is perfect. if you don't have it, just burn any wood or charcoal and make it yourself!

Back
Top Bottom