My chickens just froze......????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawnieworld, Jun 7, 2010.

1. dawnieworld

dawnieworld Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Looked out at the ladies and all of them were frozen in one spot. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. I am a new chicken owner so I don't know all their funny little behaviors just yet. I'm assuming there was a predator nearby???? Has anyone else seen this before. They kind of looked like a deer caught in the head lights.

Dawn

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    They will do that if they spot a hawk. If they don't move they won't draw attention to themselves.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There was a perceived threat nearby. Someone called the warning and everyone froze. Depending on the type of predator - and they do know the difference - they either freeze or haul butt.
    Note: The perceived threat could have been you. Were you wearing something different? Different shoes perhaps? My rooster is not happy right now since I switched from my usual black coop boots to bright pink sandals.

4. dawnieworld

dawnieworld Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    New Hampshire
    No, I just happened to look out the window to see what they were up to and I noticed them frozed like that. It was so wierrrrrd! Everyday is something different with them. They just crack me up. [​IMG]

5. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    predator alert..in our case, usually means a hawk or turkey vulture overhead...

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I agree, a flying predator. Watch your trees. You may need to scare it off to keep your birds safe.

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:are turkey vulture a predator for full grown chickens I see vultures all the time my DH says that I don't have to worry should I be worrying thanks for the help.

8. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:are turkey vulture a predator for full grown chickens I see vultures all the time my DH says that I don't have to worry should I be worrying thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if they would be considered a predator or not. We seem to have alot of them nearby and I just know my chickens freeze when they are overhead...

9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I had to laugh out loud when Mama signaled to our chicks when they were 10days old. They actually froze. I was so surprised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by