My chickens just froze......????

dawnieworld

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
New Hampshire
Looked out at the ladies and all of them were frozen in one spot. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. I am a new chicken owner so I don't know all their funny little behaviors just yet. I'm assuming there was a predator nearby???? Has anyone else seen this before. They kind of looked like a deer caught in the head lights.

Dawn

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
They will do that if they spot a hawk. If they don't move they won't draw attention to themselves.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
There was a perceived threat nearby. Someone called the warning and everyone froze. Depending on the type of predator - and they do know the difference - they either freeze or haul butt.
Note: The perceived threat could have been you. Were you wearing something different? Different shoes perhaps? My rooster is not happy right now since I switched from my usual black coop boots to bright pink sandals.

dawnieworld

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
New Hampshire
No, I just happened to look out the window to see what they were up to and I noticed them frozed like that. It was so wierrrrrd! Everyday is something different with them. They just crack me up.

schellie69

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Kansas
Quote:are turkey vulture a predator for full grown chickens I see vultures all the time my DH says that I don't have to worry should I be worrying thanks for the help.

PriceFamilyFarms

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Henderson, NC
Quote:are turkey vulture a predator for full grown chickens I see vultures all the time my DH says that I don't have to worry should I be worrying thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if they would be considered a predator or not. We seem to have alot of them nearby and I just know my chickens freeze when they are overhead...

nanawendy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bellingham Wa
I had to laugh out loud when Mama signaled to our chicks when they were 10days old. They actually froze. I was so surprised.

Top Bottom