My chickens keep on dying :( One after another

Pics
Studies show that ivermectin is *not* an effective poultry wormer. If one is going to de-worm, please don't waste your money on ivermectin, get Safeguard or Valbazen instead.

Monistat may treat some yeast infections, but it will not treat a bacterial infection.

-Kathy

Ivermectin works great if it has not been abused in the past. Even Safegaurd and Valbazen will go down the road to being ineffective owing to abuse but I should still be able to use them so long as I do not import resistant worms from elsewhere.

Making interpretations of such studies must take into account the history of the populations involved.

Studies show that ivermectin is *not* an effective poultry wormer. If one is going to de-worm, please don't waste your money on ivermectin, get Safeguard or Valbazen instead.

Monistat may treat some yeast infections, but it will not treat a bacterial infection.

-Kathy

Ivermectin works great if it has not been abused in the past. Even Safegaurd and Valbazen will go down the road to being ineffective owing to abuse but I should still be able to use them so long as I do not import resistant worms from elsewhere.

Making interpretations of such studies must take into account the history of the populations involved.

There are two studies, which I will try to find, plus numerous people in the peafowl and other forums that have lost birds due to parasite infestations even though they used ivermectin. If it's such an effective wormer I don't think we'd being seeing that.

I have a whole bottle of it and sure would like to use it, but have not seen any proof that it actually works. Once I figure out how to do fecal floats, I should be able post my own findings.

Question for those reading this... Have any of you had a fecal done, used ivermectin, then had another fecal done? If so, what were the results?

-Kathy

Last edited:
And how many mg did you give what size bird? Was it 1% given orally, injected, topically, was it paste given orally or was it the .05% pour on given topically. Not trying to argue, just really curious. :D

-Kathy

Round worms are my concern. Rate was according to label which not with me currently. Exposure was as mixed with water where they had free-choice access therefore true dosage not known. That is a problem. Cecal worms have not been a concern thus far and may be controlled by cultural methods. If control not realized then another de-wormer will have to be adopted.

Wormy birds are designated as culls, moved to a location were de-wormer spilled and past through GIT can be managed and feces can be collected and disposed of in manner that destroy surviving embryos and adults. This means birds are kept off ground. I treat only a small number of birds and do so only when worm issues are suspected for individual birds. Treated birds are then fed to restore weight then they are removed from flock in their entirety. Most birds are never treated even though they are kept in same location as part of freely mixing population with those do need treatment. My assumption is susceptibility has a genetic component on the part of the birds. Anecdotal evidence is strong for this assumption.

I do not know your background with respect to animal health management but mine will be put forth. My profession involves research in animal husbandry using methods intended to mimic commercial conditions where practical. A range of medications (some labeled for food animals / some not) are used often under very controlled conditions as part of our biosecurity regimen. We are increasingly under the gun concerning promotion of medication resistance by very same organism we seek to control. Where practical I adopt same approach with recreational purpose poultry. I am very much against over / improper use of chemotherapeutics especially when such can lead to sub-lethal exposures to wild populations of the target disease / parasite populations.

Again, not trying to argue, just trying to understand how ivermectin worked for you. The dose on the 1% label is .2mg/kg, but I have seen some parasite books that recommend giving twice that, either IM or orally. The .05% dose is .5mg/kg. Chicks, laying hens and non-laying hens all consume a different amount of water (percentage of bodyweight) according to some info I have read, which you probably already know.

How much ivermectin did you put in one gallon of water?

-Kathy

Concentration will be related to you later. Dosage was very much a function of water intake. Water intake was considerably more than maintenance intake typical of worm free subjects. Water was also provided to excess but I should be able to generate good "guestimate" for actual intake of active ingredient per unit weight of bird. It appears you see this primarily as a dosage issue but I think it is a situation were worms I am messing with are simply more vulnerable to the Ivermectin. If you are correct then then control will be less effective on birds with lighter worm-burdens assuming the drink less which I think is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom