My chickens look as if they have broken legs but dont think they are

samlj77

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
hi everyone,am new to the forum and would very much appreciate any help offered to me. I recently purchased 4 young hens and until now they have appeared in good overall health. A few weeks ago one of the chickens appeared to be stumbling about as if its leg was broken.Looking closer it looks as if its leg is disjointed near the body because it appears to be turning in on itself,but to confuse matters the chicken appears to be in no pain,moving the leg and putting weight on it,because of this i figured that the problem would resolve itself. But now another chicken seems to have the exact same problem,but is also showing no signs of pain and is also walking on it.The chickens are eating and drinking well.To begin with I thought that because the chickens were kept near horses that perhaps the first chicken had maybe been a bit slow moving out of the horses way, but the second chicken did not show any signs of this then and it has been about 2 months since they've been moved away from the horses to a safe place with no obvious risks. Very grateful to you all who have taken time to read this and any suggestions are gratefully received.

Welcome to BYC! People here are very friendly and have oodles of knowledge. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I have heard of chickens with slipped tendons. Try a search on the upper right hand side of this page. I hope you get an answer.

Maybe if their roost is to high they can dislocate their leg joints. Is the joint swollen?? Hopefully someone else who may have had this happen will come on and help out.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom