My chickens need your help....

mirmle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Ingersoll, ON Canada
Just 10 short days ago, I had an idea that had been hatching for 2 years...I wanted a chicken for my backyard...never expected to come home with mom, dad and 10 chicks...my mother who's moving to a farm is taking the dad and 8 chicks, leaving me three hens..I've almost finshed the structual part of their coop, but I have some questions....
do I use a brooding light or what type of heat source during SW Ontario winters?
how high off the floor are nesting boxes?
do the chickens need artificial daylight during winter to produce eggs--if so, what type of light?
I have barred rock hens...enjoying them so much more than I expected...was scared i was gonna be the death of them, but we're all surviving well....I've never had chickens before, and must seem senseless, but anyone having pitty on my chicks will be really helping me out...

During winters in Alaska we use 250 watt heat lamps both red and white, red at night to give them a bit of darkness, and white during the day hte white light stays on about 12 hours. we use inline timers so we dont have to run back and forth turning lights on and off.

Last edited:
Mrs. AKBB here... on the nest boxes, you'll want to raise them off the floor at least a couple of feet. The closer to the ceiling, where it's warmer, will help. I have a dropping pit that's 18" high, with two roosts above it. Here... a picture is worth a thousand words!
smile.png

NestBoxes.jpg

Our hens seem to like the upper nests, so it works for us, and we got down to -30F this winter.
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom