My chickens Not Walking, eating,drinking, or crowing

Help My Hen

Hatching
Feb 23, 2020
Please help my chicken she won't eat drink or walk. Her earlobe is swollen and purple and we are afraid she might be ready to move on. She won't even open her eyes anymore.
20200223_195315.jpg

When we place her down she leans to the side.
20200223_195255.jpg

Please help we are really worried

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.
Do you notice if she has any pus or discharge in the eyes as well?

If you look inside her ear is there any infection?
What about inside the beak - any canker or yellow/white lesions, mucous or pasty material?

Can you get a picture of her poop?
Any chance she ate anything moldy (including old feed that may have spilled), toxic (spilled oils, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.) or gotten into anything rotten (compost, dead animal, etc.)?

What does her crop feel like?

Where are you located in the world?

I would bring her in or place her where she can be warm. Ideally 75-80F.
See if you can get her hydrated, but don't worry about food at this time. While examining her, look for lice/mites and any injuries just to be sure she's not been hurt somehow.

If vet care is an option for you, that would be best.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your sick hen. How old is she? How long has she been ill? Is it winter or summer where you are located? Could she have been stung or bitten by something on her ear? Drinking is very important if she is awake enough to swallow. Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes would be good to use.

Welcome To BYC

What about inside the beak - any canker or yellow/white lesions, mucous or pasty material?

Any chance she ate anything moldy (including old feed that may have spilled), toxic (spilled oils, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.) or gotten into anything rotten (compost, dead animal, etc.)?

See if you can get her hydrated, but don't worry about food at this time. While examining her, look for lice/mites and any injuries just to be sure she's not been hurt somehow.

Welcome To BYC

She had heat stroke week and a half ago. Her neck went floppy she couldn't lift it. Brought her inside and syringe feed her sugar water and her neck came right after 3 days of nursing but she never came right. Cant walk or eat, just sleeps. Mum said we should put her out of her misery. She's getting worse each day not better. I hate the thought, but mum said She will likely die slowly and it's a kindness to end it for her and We have done all we can. I think she's right.

She had heat stroke week and a half ago. Her neck went floppy she couldn't lift it. Brought her inside and syringe feed her sugar water and her neck came right after 3 days of nursing but she never came right. Cant walk or eat, just sleeps. Mum said we should put her out of her misery. She's getting worse each day not better. I hate the thought, but mum said She will likely die slowly and it's a kindness to end it for her and We have done all we can. I think she's right.
:hugs I'm very sorry to hear that.
Where do you live?

Sometimes birds are unable to recover from heat stroke and it takes a few days, but if she's not coming around and she's still declining your Mom is right, putting them out their misery is a kindness. I know it's hard because we get attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom