1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken's parent?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kneedles, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    This may be a childish thought, but could this chicken be my hen's parent? My hen (post #3 here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/910202/which-breeds-are-these) was originally found abandoned at the property that this chicken was seen on. The photograph is terrible due to the poor light conditions from when it was taken.

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The hen you are talking about is the one that looks like a black sex link? Guess they could be related, he is basically just black with some red leakage... But I would kind of doubt if the above roo is her father, he looks pretty young to me, (not a whole lot of rooster feathering in yet, not much comb and wattle development like older roos usually get etc) so I doubt he is old enough, There are some neat birds running around there, really like that little crested one you have.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Oddly enough, I saw a large hen that looked extremely similar to my own (which I did not photograph) at the same place the next day, meaning that I may have found her mother.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Don't you wish you could find out for sure, time to do some parentage DNA testing on the chickens :) There were also barred females running around that looked like barred rocks etc?, they could be the mothers of the bsl looking hens also, nice thread on sex links that gives you an idea of the breeds/colors that would be possible for the fathers (they talk about blacks after reds) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by