My chickens sleep piled up like puppies. Is this normal?

skatcatla

Songster
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
I've been wondering if they are cold..but its still only in the high 50's, low 60's at night here. They've always done this as far as I can tell..one of them lies in the corner and the other three pile up on her...

Is that how chickens always sleep? Or are mine unusually close? Or are they freezing?

How old are they? Mine did this until they were two or three months old. I may have had three or four that got up on their roost early on. They might be cold, but that's nothing to worry about if it's not freezing and they are a few weeks old. I think it's cute when they do that....

This is how my silkies sleep all the time just because they don't really roost. That was my question too, how old are they. My standard babies have always piled together too.

Mine do too.. going on 5 months now.

They have a roost, but it is small, and prefer to sleep on the ledge outside their nesting boxes...

I thought I was the only one who had weird snuggly peeps. One of my ee's knocks the silkies off the ledge 'cause she snuggles so much. The silkies and an EE sleep on the ledge and the BO's and other EE roost, but roost at the end that's against the ledge so they can get snuggly action, too.

They are about 14 weeks right now, so not even 4 months old.

They do use their roost too, but they definitely love to snuggle up! Glad I'm not the only one whose chocks do this!
lol.png

That's how my Silkies sleep...in a big pile. The birds that do roost end up squishing together all one roost instead of using them both. Weirdos.

I'm just a ole country boy and have run of the mill mix breed chickens and they do the same thing, it could be safety in numbers, or just a sense of security anyway just enjoy them and don't worry. I was thinking the other day that someone needs to step up and become the chicken whisperer and fix all these crazy birds. God bless.

All my chickens roost except for my cochins - they sleep in a pile in the corner with the cochin roo. I think they actually are warmer than the roosting girls.

Back
Top Bottom