My chickens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prairiehousewife, Jun 13, 2009.

1. prairiehousewife

prairiehousewife In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Hello,
    New to all this chicken raising stuff. We got our 10 chickens a little over a month ago. They were laying 8-10 a day, but we're down to anywhere from 2-5 these days. I heard from someone else that chickens don't like change. The chickens were given to us by a neighbor, so there was a change in location, coop, habits and feed. We let them run around outside, they kept them locked up. Does this affect their laying? What can be done to get them laying at full speed again? Also, is it a bad thing to keep them penned up all the time?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you better look around where they are running outside. I bet you have a hidden stock pile of them somewhere?

3. prairiehousewife

May 27, 2009
    I thought about that, but I've had them locked up for a week or so, and still only about 5 eggs max.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    moulting? umm...broody? how old are they?

5. prairiehousewife

May 27, 2009
    MMM...I think they're 1-2 yrs old. The guy we got them from told my DH (typical...like he ever takes care of the chickens!) who can't really remember. What sorta "broody behaviors" should I look for? They seem to be laying every other day. Could it be the weather? It's been cold and rainy. What do they look like when they're moulting? I've noticed a lot of feather flying around the coop and their yard in the last couple days.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: