My chickens the "Transformers"

chickfillhay

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Berlin Nh
What in the WORLD!?
ep.gif

Maybe I am such a newbie I cannot recognize all the fun perky things chickens do. My husband went out front to check on the chickens yesterday and all were on the cement porch. 6 pullets and one little roo. @3 months old.
They were on their side, jusy lying there and their little legs were up in the air. Doing splits and contorting in all different directions. Like they were dead and their legs were broken. A better description is as if a hawk had picked them up and dropped them from way up above!
Just when my husband was at the point of panicking and wondering how to break it to me. One at a time they started coming to. They would suddenly look up as if from a weird trance and then pop their legs back into place like the transformers and suddenly go from this dead distorded position to up an atom everything is peachy position.

Is this normal or are they putting something extra in their feed?

My guess would be they are sun bathing. They will also do that behavior while taking dirt baths. It's a bit scary at first, I've yelled at my birds a few times whilst they where all stretched out looking dead. They are just enjoying the weather.
smile.png

Yep like Angie said they were probably just catchin' some rays LOL I've had chickens for a while and I still sometimes think they're dead when I walk outside!
roll.png

You know, I've seen them playing in the dirt and even almost burying themselves in it. Really fun to look at.
But they were on the cold porch and not moving. I think the not moving part freaked him out. Not to mention crooked legs. But I'll take your word and inform my hubby to get out the suntan lotion.
cool.png
'Cause the girls are just enjoying their little lives.

Thanks much!
frow.gif

Was it Sunny outside? Cement usually absorbs heat so it may have been warm to them.

Edited to add.....mine have managed to dig a HUGE hole in the yard to dust bathe in.....put it this way when the sex-links are in the hole there bodies are even with ground level and everything else is in the hole, you can't even see the bantams when they're in it. I'm just waiting to break my leg one day when I'm back there at night.
roll.png

Last edited:
Actually it's been kinda chilly here in Fl. But that was warm than the rest of the week. We actually had a little break with some sun. But still chilly for this area.

When I come home from work at night, the run has big holes in it near the perimeter. I think they must be trying to dustbathe, or are planning their big breakout from the gulag!

The Transformer analogy was perfect.

Quote:
gig.gif
This reminds me of a part of one of my favorite movies. Terms of Endearment where Shirley McClaine (Aurora) pinches the baby (Emma...later, Debra Winger) while she sleeps because she's worried she's dead. When the baby cries out Aurora is reassured and goes to sleep!

gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom