My Chickens Vs. An Alligator

So why do you think they were never around when you were a kid?

Thanks for the tips.

You live in Northern California so that makes your alligator lizards the Northern type.

When I was growing up here 30 years ago, we had lots of every type of lizards. Now a day, so much things are being built in OC, they are no where to be found any more except for Blue Bellies.

I found a place recently but kind of expensive and they are not in stock right now.

http://www.reptilesncritters.com/ca-alligator-lizard.html

Last edited:
Oh man... My brother and I could have had a great business when we were kids. We had a pluthera of lizards! Blue bellies were always my favorite... they don't bite as hard as the alligator lizards!

The alligator lizards do likely eat some young fence swifts if they are around, but I'll bet the missing bluebellies have more to do with urbanization than anything. They are great to have around though ( check this out: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1998/04/17/MN65130.DTL&ao=all ) so it may be worthwhile to set up some twiggy brush piles to give them a safe place to hide from the birds if there are any left. Also mine seem to do really well around the compost bins where they just lie in wait for houseflies. I just came in from the yard and saw about 6 in ten minutes. They're everywhere here. If you'd like some to stock up, I'd be happy to help you if there is a good way to get them to you.

I also am pretty familiar with the alligator lizards attitudes. I used to say the best way to catch them is to offer your finger, they grab hold and won't let go. But they are also good to have in the yard, IMO.

My chickens have even gone after even a full grown 4 foot gopher snake (who I protected though- he eats gophers!)

Sorry to bump, but I didn't see this till you linked to it! Heck I don't think I was even around when you posted it!

what you're calling alligator lizard looks a great deal like what we have here in Tx called texas spiny lizard. i'm kinda glad to have them since the horned toads are gone (thanks to fire ants). any lizards around my place are in real threat from my cats (those darn cats). maybe i can teach my new little chickies to be nice to any lizards.

Actually your spiny lizards are nearly the same thing as the other lizards mentioned- bluebellies aka western fence swifts. Spiny lizards (we have some of those out here too in the drier regions) are basically larger bluebellies with larger and more pointed scales. They tend to be a little darker in color too (at least out here). These alligator lizards have a longer pointier face, more rounded snake like body with small feet.
what you're calling alligator lizard looks a great deal like what we have here in Tx called texas spiny lizard. i'm kinda glad to have them since the horned toads are gone (thanks to fire ants). any lizards around my place are in real threat from my cats (those darn cats). maybe i can teach my new little chickies to be nice to any lizards.

Pretty Chickens! But can't watch the video. Let them eat all the mice they want, but you've got a lizard fan here. In this case I'd have to root for the lizard. One of my favorite pets from when I was a kid was a little green anole. Wierd I know but our house was like animal kingdom!
It's funny chickens look so sweet and fluffy but under all that they are just like little velasoraptors (spelling?). Still you gotta love em!
wink.png
I love the lizards, too. My girls catch and eat mice after beating them to death. Really gross!!!

Back
Top Bottom