My chickens were just attacked! Can I help her?

laadeebug

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
My orpington has the skin ripped off her upper thigh that is about 5 inches high and 3 inches wide. the meat is totally exposed. at the knee joint the meat has ripped and r
separated. just happened an hour ago but I just now got a chance to get a good look at her because I was reinforcing the coop. what can I do for her? she is totally calm and shows no sign of distress and she is not bleeding it is already pretty dry. sorry about the photo in the middle I can't seem to figure this out from my phone.

I don't think you are going to be able to glue this wound. If there is not enough skin to stitch,then leave it alone. Clean really well,keep her separate from other birds. Apply antibiotic ointment and cover with sterile gauze to prevent her picking at wound and maggots.

going to try this again stupid cell phone. so far I have received the same feedback from everyone here to keep gauze on it and to keep antibiotic cream on it but I'm wondering if I could get some more feedback. the part of the tissues that was ripped all is turning black, the swelling is down today, and the skin is still lose around the wound but is looking blueish greenish black. I hope its not getting gangreen. she still is acting perfectly normal eating and drinking like nothing is wrong. poor girl. Thanks

The pink spot on the left is her bone showing through. that is her knee joint. the skin that was ripped off below the knee is to the right turning black.

going to try this again stupid cell phone. so far I have received the same feedback from everyone here to keep gauze on it and to keep antibiotic cream on it but I'm wondering if I could get some more feedback. the part of the tissues that was ripped all is turning black, the swelling is down today, and the skin is still lose around the wound but is looking blueish greenish black. I hope its not getting gangreen. she still is acting perfectly normal eating and drinking like nothing is wrong. poor girl. Thanks

That looks like necrotic tissue. I would keep her inside away from the flies, irrigate it with antiseptic and then spray the entire area with an antibiotic spray. I'm not sure what you have available to you, but I use Terramycin for pink eye in cattle.
You can get a fairly big bottle of sterile saline for contact lenses for irrigating and I draw it up into a 20 ml syringe( without needle ).
Cetrigen purple wound spray is usually readily available at horse supply stores and is another alternative.

thank you. I am so glad to hear that there may be some hope still for her I'm so scared for her. she keeps snuggling up against me. I am heading out to get new supplies now.

thank you. I am so glad to hear that there may be some hope still for her I'm so scared for her. she keeps snuggling up against me. I am heading out to get new supplies now.

It's awful to see them suffer, but at this stage your girl seems happy. There are lots of products here that I'm not sure whether or not they are available to you.
Ottiderm is another that I have used on some open wounds, with great results.

I used ringers lactate on a hen. Applied the ringers to irrigate the wound several times a day. Applied gauze and used vet wrap. I had to remove the dead skin, that was hanging. Not all the skin died at the same time, so several surgeries. The ringers promoted collagen growth.

Back
Top Bottom