My chickens will not get out of the rain, even at night

BDutch

Crowing
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
Yes, I agree that hardy chickens can also hibernate outside if you’re climate isn’t too harsh.

Maybe it's an idea to just let them choose where they want to sleep? chickens will actually go to sleep indoors if they prefer it there. Some things they can figure out for themselves.

As long as there is no predator issue and you have a safe run you can choose not to interfere.

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow. I wish I had the nerve to do that. I'd have to rig up a temp roofing over where they perch. We'll see how this effort goes. If it's impossible to keep them in the coop, I may relent. Hmm.

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
Have you had chickens for 7-8 year...and never had this problem before?
We have not had chickens for the past 2 years. About 10 or so years ago we got our first 4 little chicks. All we had was the coop, no run. So they grew up in the coop (and free ranged). Then we added the run, and a rooster. And they hatched chicks who grew up in the coop. And then we took a break and had no chickens, and I would have stayed like that except for the virus, so I mail ordered 9 chicks from a hatchery and we raised them in the house until they were feathered and then let them live in the spacious open run (or coop, but they stayed in the run). And that's where they have slept ever since. I had no idea chickens wouldn't rather sleep in a cozy, warmer, sheltered coop, like all my other chickens seemed to like. Surely they would migrate into the coop when it rained, and got terribly cold. But no. So here we are.

Top Bottom