My chickens will not go in the pen at night??

new2this

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Wentzville, MO
I built a really nice pen for my chickens, 24 Boilers(only for 9 weeks) and my laying hens (3 Reds, 1 Golden, 1 Wyndotte, 1 Susex) They do not want to go in there, I have to physically put them in there and lock them in at night so they will be safe. Is this normal? Will they ever go in there by themselves?? Thanks for the help with the eye pecking thing the grass clippings worked!!!! YAY!!

new2this, The normal receipe for this to work with ease, is to leave the chickens in the new coop and attached run if they have one for 2 full weeks so they know where home is. Do that, and then start leaving them out the first time with only a few hours left before sundown. Then be patient and wait till they all go in before dark. Don't chase or hurry them as they will do it on their own. Then lock the gate behind them for a safe night.

bigzio

Bigzio has exactly the right routine. I also encourage my girls with a little bit of scratch. Eventually you will have them to the point where they come when you call!
(It also may help to spend some time making friends with the dominant hens. The rest of the flock usually follows them.)

Okay, I have noticed that my Reds will always go in at night, but the (stupid ones...Cornish) they will stay out all night if I let them and huddle together in a group, when it is dark they won't even move..Well it is only a few more weeks and I will be eating them..
tongue.png
....I have 6 laying hens that I will keep year round, they all seem to be pretty smart...

Back
Top Bottom