My chickens will NOT nipple drink!!!

Jazzy_girl

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
No matter what I've tried and maybe I need new ideas. They will not nipple drink. I really need them to because I'm winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker. Help!!!

winter that's all I have rn is a heated nipple water drinker.
Buy one of these then.

heated waterer.jpg

It's what I use. I set in up on a level block so the base is a chest height and it has worked with sub-zero temperatures.
Unless VERY well insulated and heated, nipple waterers tend to freeze.

My advice would be to keep trying. Take out other water sources (as long as your not dealing with high heat. I wouldn't do that here right now with the high temp we experienced today, but you'll likely have an opportunity to try again later in the season before winter starts).

Try putting some food pellets on the nipple. Or put a broken nipple that leaks on so they see the water there. Either way they will eventually learn. Good luck

I remove other sources of water, and use my finger as a beak to peck the metal bar of the nipple. I make sure they're watching me do this. Usually curiosity will overcome someone, and that plus the smell of water will usually interest them enough to check it out. Once one figures it out, the others will learn. A little water hangs out right under the metal bar, so that attracts them too, they hit the bar by accident, more water comes out, and they figure it out.

Just keep trying.

Have you washed your waterer well and made sure there's no off or chemical smells going on with the waterer? I assume it's the correct height for them to reach. Are there any access issues? Do you have enough watering stations for the amount of chickens you have? I have 2 5-gallon buckets with 4-5 nipples each for a 20 bird flock, at opposite ends of the run, and it's worked well for me.

I use 4 nipples in a 5 gal bucket, and use a bucket heater in the winter. Worked great so far, but I only have a few months of winter, and not much snow. Only needed the heater for about two weeks last winter but I left it in for 4. The nipples will ice up if it gets cold enough for long enough, but not in the bucket I put this heater in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QXN1EQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this a commercial nipple waterer or a homemade one?

If homemade, did you put a small hole just under the rim to break the vacuum? The water won't flow if the air can't get in.
Good catch!

I totally didn't think to even mention that, but every time I make one from a 5 gallon bucket I take the o-ring in the lid out of the lid, so the bucket won't fully seal, and whenever I fill it, I make sure the lid's not quite fully snapped down, just in case. Machining a groove into the top sealing surface of the bucket (the part that would contact the O-ring), to ensure it will never seal, is an even better solution.

I had one bucket have a vacuum once. Good thing there were two 5-gallon bucket waterers in the coop, and the other one did not have a vacuum, or I could've lost 21 meat birds by the time I figured out there was a problem. Definitely vent your waterers.

Good catch!

I totally didn't think to even mention that, but every time I make one from a 5 gallon bucket I take the o-ring in the lid out of the lid, so the bucket won't fully seal, and whenever I fill it, I make sure the lid's not quite fully snapped down, just in case. Machining a groove into the top sealing surface of the bucket (the part that would contact the O-ring), to ensure it will never seal, is an even better solution.

I had one bucket have a vacuum once. Good thing there were two 5-gallon bucket waterers in the coop, and the other one did not have a vacuum, or I could've lost 21 meat birds by the time I figured out there was a problem. Definitely vent your waterers.

I both drill the hole and never snap the lid down tight -- just in case the hole clogs.

Just leave them and they will drink it. I have had over 200 400 chickens and turkeys over the last 3 years and they all have used them eventually. I even had 5 day old chicks using them. I've learned, if you don't fuss over your chickens they will do what you want them to do when they are hungry, thirsty, cold, hot, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom