My chickens won't eat oystershell...

chickmamawannabe

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Canby, Or-y-gun
and today I got 3 softshell eggs! I only have five chickens, so this is a big problem. 2 other eggs were hard, but one was broken. What can I do if they won't eat their oystershell? They have a small trough for their grit and shell, and I also mix it into their crumbles once a week, but it doesn't look like they eat it at all. Is there something else I can give them?

If they are on layer feed, does it have added calcium? Some brands do.
Is it perhaps too large of pieces for them? You could always crush some up with a hammer and see if they'll eat smaller pieces.

I give mine a layer feed from tractor supply company (TSC) a brand called Dumor it already has calcium and other goodies in it. Therefore oyster shells are not necessary Southern States doesn't offer a feed like it as far as I know. Dave from MD

YES YOU CAN PUT 2 TBSP OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TO GALLON OF WATER
which makes the chickens body use the calcium and vit D from the feed and what ever oyster shell they eat

also they will need the oyster shell single in a feeder as they don't eat as much grit as they will oyster shell

and always take you hands and clean out at least 3 inches of the oyster shell every week and throw it on the ground where they live and they will pick thru it

hopefully this will help your hens calcium intake

any questions email me

Back
Top Bottom