My chickens wont eat their egg shells

I'll let my eggshells dry out and then blend them up so that they're very fine crumbles/powder and then I put it into their feed. That way, they can't NOT eat it!
Well, maybe.... unless it all sifts down to the bottom of the feeder.
Plus egg shell is not as good a calcium supplement as oyster shell.
The OS stay in the gizzard longer.

I wouldn't give the chickens shells of their eggs they might start eating their own eggs
Not true.

Coincidence.
Many have fed egg shells,
sometimes even not crushed,
without the birds becoming egg eaters.
I wondered if this happened because people didn't take the time to crush them up and they looked a lot like eggs still.

Well, maybe.... unless it all sifts down to the bottom of the feeder.
Plus egg shell is not as good a calcium supplement as oyster shell.
The OS stay in the gizzard longer.
I probably shouldn't have said very finely ground. As you said, if it's a powder it will all sift to the bottom of the feeder. I just make sure it's crushed up enough so that it flows through my fingers easily and doesn't look like eggs anymore.

I wondered if this happened because people didn't take the time to crush them up and they looked a lot like eggs still.
Usually it's more they need more protein or calcium and somehow discover eggs help that. I don't bother to dry or grind eggshells. I crack them right there and dump the yolk in the feed and the shells nearby. I don't have egg eaters and I do that probably every week on average because they lay so many

Back
Top Bottom