My chickens wont eat their egg shells

Jan 4, 2021
Ada, Oklahoma
I've always given egg shells to my chickens and they ate them which resulted to really hard shelled eggs since they started laying in January, but this week, I saw one egg on the ground with no shell, thankfully they didn't eat it. Then I saw 2 more days with an egg on the ground like the hen didn't know she was going to lay one because one was in the chicken run and on another day, it was inside the coop. This last one, I found yesterday and it was really soft so I think when it fell on the ground, it rolled and cracked in places, but the membrane is intact. This morning, I found 5 eggs with shells and one that had an open membrane and the contents were like being swallowed by hay in the nesting box. The first time I found the egg with no membrane, I increased the egg shells I was giving them- it's not mixed with their laying mash, I just scatter it on the ground. What I noticed is that they don't flock to it anymore and eat it like they used to. They just ignore their egg shells. Their laying mash is fortified with calcium and other vitamins but they don't eat it unless they get really hungry. Since I have moringa powder, and I know it has high calcium content, I mixed it with their laying mash which I serve like thick oatmeal. I have to add that they have been also sort of ignoring their regular feed ever since I started giving them grass to eat. They just love this weed that's growing in the garden and can't have enough of it. I give them treats like corn and pumpkin seeds. They also have grits. I have been cooking fresh eggs everyday this week and I noticed that the shells are thinner than usual. Today we went to the feed store and got some oyster shell grits and some meal worms. I sure hope these girls will eat their grit shells and their feed with gusto like they used to. I stopped giving them grass so 2 days ago so they will be hungry enough to eat their laying mash, egg shells, and oyster grit shells that I have for them.
P.S.
I did stop for a week in giving them water with vitamin supplements. I think I will reintroduce the vitamins in their water.

Cut down the treats to a minimum. They need to be eating the layer mash because it has all the nutrients they need, including nutrients that help synthesize calcium in their bodies, whereas corn and other treats do not. If they are eating the mash, supplemental calcium shouldn't be necessary, but it's still a good idea to leave a free choice feeder of oyster and/or egg shells.

They might have gotten used to something else or tired of it.

How many chickens do you have?
Maybe you're right. I have eight chickens and I'm not really sure what they are as they were just given to me. I tried to google it according to photos and I think I have 4 cinnamon queens that are prima donnas, they pick on the others and seem to think they own the coop. Maybe it's because they are a bit older. Then there are 2 rhode island reds and 2 cuckoo marans, one of which has feathered legs. My husband thinks they are barred rocks, but they look speckled and not like zebras - at least that's how I see barred rock chickens- with black and white feathers that look like lines. =)

Cut down the treats to a minimum. They need to be eating the layer mash because it has all the nutrients they need, including nutrients that help synthesize calcium in their bodies, whereas corn and other treats do not. If they are eating the mash, supplemental calcium shouldn't be necessary, but it's still a good idea to leave a free choice feeder of oyster and/or egg shells.
Thank you! My husband thinks I have spoiled my chickens with daily treats. So yes, I actually have started to give just the laying mash and some newly bought oyster grits in another bowl and as they get hungry later in the afternoon, they end up eating all the laying mash just like today and I gave them more laying mash just a while ago.

Thank you! My husband thinks I have spoiled my chickens with daily treats. So yes, I actually have started to give just the laying mash and some newly bought oyster grits in another bowl and as they get hungry later in the afternoon, they end up eating all the laying mash just like today and I gave them more laying mash just a while ago.
It is tempting to give them a lot of extra stuff, for sure. But the mash is formulated to meet all of their dietary needs in the right balance, and lots of treats disturbs the balance. If you find that they are rejecting the mash, you could try crumbles or pellets instead. Also, many people wet or ferment their chicken feed and that can help the hens like it more.

Thank you! Appreciate your comments! I have laying crumbles but when I gave it to them as is, they ignored it, so I went back to adding some water to it. It may be because we also changed their feed from the other kind which were pellets that I also mixed with water- it looked a little different and maybe tasted different too since it was another brand. Will try to stick with the same brand.

I'll let my eggshells dry out and then blend them up so that they're very fine crumbles/powder and then I put it into their feed. That way, they can't NOT eat it!

Back
Top Bottom