my chickens wont eat treats

sadieH5836

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Egg Harbor
I have 12 new girls all about 3-4 months old I have had them for about 2 weeks now. I have been trying different treats all this week but they wont touch them.

They girls I had before ( racoon killed all of my flock) would be all over me trying to get to what ever was in the "treat bowl" before I even threw it out into the run. They would see me coming with their special bowl and the frenzy would ensue.

These new girls have been given bananas, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, frozen watermelon and tomatoes.
Whats the deal?

Last edited:
Maybe they want a menu?
wink.png

But really maybe they are just scared of it...I know my prior flock was terrified, and I mean to the point of cowering in the corner over a half cantaloupe.

Yes...apparently the half cantaloupe was going to attack them or something....no idea but no matter what I did they would not come near it. For YEARS this went on lol Offer half a canteloupe and off the run to the corner. Cube it and they were fine....odd things they were.

Chookies are silly sometimes:lol:

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you tried seedless grapes? Mine go nuts over those even though they haven't cared for many other treats I've tried. So far mine doesn't like broccoli that much, but will eat it a little. Mine also doesn't care for watermelon that much, but will eat it, but only if I cut it up...not if I put a whole slice in there (spoiled things....LOL). I'm not sure how others give them grapes, but I cut the grapes up into little small pieces and they really love them...fight over them!
big_smile.png

If they were not raised by a hen, they have nobody to show them what is good to eat. They'll be suspicious of new foods.

Try putting some familiar food down first, then putting down a new treat, and tapping your finger next to it and calling "bok bok bok bok" ...

They'll probably all gather round in a circle and stare at the new food ... then one will dart in and peck it and they'll all jump back ... this can go on for a while ... once they see the new thing isn't going to explode, they will probably get a bit more adventurous. Eventually someone gets a taste, runs off with the prize, and then everyone wants one.

Mine were the same way for a while. I read on here how much they LOVED watermellon...so I tried giving them that. They hated it! I couldn't believe it. Same with Bread,tomatoes,you name it. I just kept offering different things to them,now they'll eat just about anything I throw out there to them. It's a mad dash for everything now. I did throw out some cabbage yesterday that they wouldn't eat. Just keep trying,throwing out small amounts until they get the hang of it.

this post amazes me my chickens will eat most anything
maybe they are just scared of you
leave the treats and i bet they will tear them up when you are gone
if this is the case, i found that crickets are iresistable to chickens just hold one out real still and a chicken will be brave enough to come snatch it away , after that look out they will fight to see who get there first

I think because they are young, they are probably just afraid of it....My first flock, they all went for treats right away...The flock I have now, when they were young, I would toss a bit of this or that too them, and they all ran away, then they would come and peck after several minutes, but just left it lay, they caught on, now when they hear the screen door open, they come running up to the house to see what I have in my pail...They will catch on eventually,

Chickens are chicken of new things. Leave the treats in with them. Someone will get brave enough to try it, then it will be a free-for-all.
It also helps to offer treats in the same bowl every time. They'll learn to anticipate the arrival of that bowl.

My girls are very picky about treats, too. I can't get them to eat much of anything and when they do it isn't with any enthusiasm, sigh. The only thing they go crazy over is when I find a roach in the feed bin and I scoop it up and feed to the girls. That is the only time I have a feeding frenzy amongst them.

Back
Top Bottom