My chickens won't leave their coop today? Now,where'd they go?! Post 6

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
This is very unusual..

Usually my chickens are out in their run, jumping over one another at the door, waiting for me to open it up and they rush out into the yard en masse..

Today they don't even want to leave the coop. I finally shoo'd them out into the run and they all ran back into the coop.

The only thing has has changed has been that I replaced their wood chip bedding with hay last night.. They seemed to really like it..

What is going on?? None seem ill, no evidence of predators trying to gain entry. I can't even blame a bad storm..

Is it the hay?

Last edited:
Just give them time, at least they are aren't exposed to all the elements and I'm assuming they have feed and water in the coop? The'll get it.

It's not that they haven't been outside before.. they've been free ranging for over a month now.. Most are nearly full grown..

Yes, they have food and water in their coop and run and water in the yard too..

It's just so unlike them....

could be the overcast day, something has been around that may have scared them. Leave the door open and they will either come, go, or stay where they are.
With this cloudy weather, mine hang in on the covered porch. These girls will run to the coop when rain drops begin.
Usually if they don't like a bedding, they cant wait to ge out, so keep your eyes open and it will be explained in due time.
We call scaredy cats chickens...why? Cause chickens are chicken! lol. Good luck

It could be that you may have had an eagle/hawk do a flybye and spook them,those are thee only times mine stay in the corner of the coop furthest from the door. they'll get over it.

Well, yesterday most of them stayed inside their coop all day.. and it was a beautiful day..

Today, none were eager to leave but I opened the door and said "do what you like" and now 11 of the 18 are gone.. I don't see them anywhere.. and I've called and called.. nothing.. Very odd.. They usually stay in the yard or in the near back woods.. Granted we have nearly 8 acres behind the house of wooded swamp/marsh but they usually don't just "vanish" like that. I've even check the neighbors yards.. thinking they wandered to the sides of us.. One says it's fine and I havent' spoken to the other.. but they have a dog tied out back so he'd bark..

I wonder if they'll come back??
sad.png

Keep your eye to the sky. Sounds like they have seen a hawk. Red tailed Hawks will torture them with worry through the wire and even kill through the wire.

I don't think they can get through the 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the run.. but maybe the ones out have seen one and are hiding in the woods..??

I keep looking for them but can't go trapsing through the woods right now..

mine wont go into the coop for the night. only go in for water and feed I have tried everything.
to coax them in. they do get out of the sun between 1 and 4 in the afternoon.
into the coop on their own, but even stay out in the run in the rain . have the run covered on all sides and top with wire but still havent found my beautiful roo missing since last week
dont know how that happened.

Back
Top Bottom