My chickens work the night shift!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I should have known. They spent the first 20 weeks of their lives on the front porch and we're night people. Due to my SO's job, we get up around 11 am and usually don't go to bed before 3 am. The chickens are very used to people (and the dog!) coming and going at all hours of the night, so I guess it was inevitable.
I never get an egg before 3 PM and the latest I have gotten an egg was just now, at 7:15 PM. I stood patiently waiting by the coop door for her to finish so I could lock them in for the night. While I was closing the door I saw one of the other hens climbing into a nest box and getting cozy. Bet if I check in an hour or so I'll find another one.
There's something just not right about hens that lay their eggs right before jumping up on a roost for the night.
Go ahead and say it. I have weird chickens.
tongue.png

Quote:
Well I do have an undead dog, oh no wait a minute. He's not undead, he's brain dead. My bad.
hmm.png

If my chickens turn out to be 'night-birds' I will be asking for help -- this is the latest I've stayed up in ages!

I have described my sleeping habits as 'going to bed with the chickens' ---

Still working on the elaborate chicken-house (it's taken on a life of its own!) and the progress has been delayed because of the rain --

SO -- I don't have the chickens yet (except for a promised Silkie from a BYC member!)

Can anyone recommend a breed that DOES go to bed early!??
(I do know that chickens are just like every other living thing -- each one is different!)

SueR

My chickens don't go to bed until 11:30. They are on a similiar schedule. DW works the
second shift so I hear ya on a late schedule. I'm lucky to have a boss who realizes I'm
not that awake until after 8AM.

Back
Top Bottom