My Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LuvMaChickies, Oct 2, 2009.

1. LuvMaChickies

LuvMaChickies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Hi, I'm kind of a new chicken owner. But, so far, so good! I've had my birds since July, and they're still squawking...so, I must be doing something right!
    Anyway, I've been curious on a definite breed and sex of my chickens. I was told Silkie for my white one, but I don't remember what, for my brown one. Upon, doing some research, I've found that I "think" she's a female Orpington. I'm pretty sure that my Silkie is a rooster, since he's starting to get his voice. They are both about 5 months old. Can you guys help me out?

Here is Cinnamon, my Orpington??...
    [​IMG]

This is Sugar, my Silkie (don't mind the little stripe of orange on his wing. When we were painting the outside of the coop, he rubbed up against it)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC from North Central Florida.
    White one is definately a silkie the brown one looks like a mix to me. But they are both cute.

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I don't know much about orpingtons, but your brown one is not an orp. Looks like a silkie mix to me - how many toes are on each foot? What color is the skin? It looks like a hen in body shape, but it has a pretty large comb to be a hen - but the saddle feathers are rounded and not pointed. The crest, blue earlobes and comb all say silkie cross to me tho. See what the experts think. The silkie is a roo tho.

I'd be curious to know if they produced any silkie feathered chicks!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The first one is def Silkie mix and looks to be mixed maybe with a Rhode Island Red looks very girly to me too.
    The second one a Silkie roo.

5. swdunn0926

swdunn0926 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Fayetteville
    You rooster (white one) is a silkie, you hen, Cinn. is a silkie mix, I have two just like her that I use as my sitters!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by