My chickens

jan-n-cy-6769

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
USA-Uintah Basin, Utah
I adopted 30 hens and 3 roosters, they were starving, and underweight when i brought them home, poor lil hens werent even laying. Ive been trying to get them back to their ideal weights for each breed i have, things are coming along good, and im getting between 10-15 eggs now depending the weather. When i feed them they still behave like they are starving, will they ever stop this? What can i do to help them break this behavior or can it be broken???

My chickens always act like they are starving. :D

I do give them pellets free choice, and when I top it off, even though there was still feed in there, they go crazy. They also go nuts for all scraps and treats.

Mine become frantic to eat whenever I top off the feeder. Even if there was plenty for them to eat in the feeder, they act as if they were starving when it top it off and put it back in the coop.

Chris

There is no way to break chickens of that starving act no matter how much food they have. Just bring anything out to them and the reaction is the same. The same thing happens with water they could have access to 100gal. of water. If it rains and they find a muddy puddle you would think they were dyeing of thirst.

Ours literally climb on top of each other as we approach the run - it's funny but a bit disturbing how crazy they get.
They are well fed but act as though they haven't seen food in days.

Poor little bird brains.

Back
Top Bottom