1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jan-n-cy-6769, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jan-n-cy-6769

jan-n-cy-6769 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    USA-Uintah Basin, Utah
    I adopted 30 hens and 3 roosters, they were starving, and underweight when i brought them home, poor lil hens werent even laying. Ive been trying to get them back to their ideal weights for each breed i have, things are coming along good, and im getting between 10-15 eggs now depending the weather. When i feed them they still behave like they are starving, will they ever stop this? What can i do to help them break this behavior or can it be broken???

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

My chickens always act like they are starving. :D

I do give them pellets free choice, and when I top it off, even though there was still feed in there, they go crazy. They also go nuts for all scraps and treats.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine become frantic to eat whenever I top off the feeder. Even if there was plenty for them to eat in the feeder, they act as if they were starving when it top it off and put it back in the coop.

Chris

4. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Chickens will always go crazy for scraps!

5. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    There is no way to break chickens of that starving act no matter how much food they have. Just bring anything out to them and the reaction is the same. The same thing happens with water they could have access to 100gal. of water. If it rains and they find a muddy puddle you would think they were dyeing of thirst.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    just like dogs with feathers.

7. Kazfam

Kazfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2013
    Ours literally climb on top of each other as we approach the run - it's funny but a bit disturbing how crazy they get.
    They are well fed but act as though they haven't seen food in days.

Poor little bird brains.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by