My chickies are outside today for the first time...

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
Well, the coop is essentially finished, and I loaded my chicks up, carried them one by one from the basement, and put them in their new home. I want to sit below the window and just watch them all day.
pop.gif

I am excited but nervous for them. They're going to stay in the coop for the next week to get used to their new home, and we're going to use that time to get the run together. I think I'm going to be a basket case tonight when it's time to go to bed!! How do you all deal with the nerves surrounding their big move outdoors? Argh!!!

Amy

I moved mine into their hutch and put it RIGHT BESIDE our backdoor for a couple of weeks before I moved them to their permanent location in their run. That way they got used to sleeping outside and in the hutch which is now their permanent coop/roost and I felt comfortable they were fairly safe beside my back door under the porch light.

Unfortunately I couldn't do that, as our coop was heavy and had to be placed via towing in our back yard...DH hooked up a towstrap and wheeled it out to its current location (coop is on wheels). It's about 75-100 feet from the back door, and easily visible from the back of the house.

Do chickens pant? I think my girls (and boy...ugh) are hot. They've been off the heat lamp for about 3 weeks and have been in my cool basement; I'm worried it's going to be too hot and uncomfortable for them out there.

Amy

Hi Amy!

I was a complete train wreck when I first moved our gang out to their temporary coop. I did spend the whole day out in the yard with them, until it got dark. Then I checked on them every time I heard a noise.
lau.gif
By the next day, I wasn't as paranoid that every predator in our rural area knew I had put out a fesh feast for them. I'm sure DH had a few good laughs at my expense at that time, but I don't mind.
gig.gif

They were 6 weeks old when they first moved outdoors...now they are 11 plus weeks old and growing like weeds.

You could get a cheap baby monitor and use in their coop (if you can run electric to it). I'll be using one as soon as we move them to the main coop, since I won't be able to see them as well from inside. Their temp coop is just outside of our computer room window...several of the boys are have a "crowing" contest as I type this.
gig.gif

I'm freezing 2 liter Pepsi bottles to put out in their run when it gets too hot...they love them! Click on pix of Buckwheat (EE cockeral) and Mottled Cochin, they'll get bigger.
wink.png

Dawn

I put mine in a large cage where the grass comes up through the cracks but can keep them contained. I left them in the shade to go pick up my daughter at band practice. Well she didn't get out when she thought she would so I ran to go get my meds at the pharmacy. When we got home the cage was in the sun a few of them had escaped (oops didn't see that hole). The ones that had escaped were just walking around with the cats and dogs doing just fine. There was one that had over heated so I had to rush her in and give electrolykes and she's fine. We are moving them with the shade.

jackie

Jackie, how do you know they've overheated? My poor girls look so miserable out there. I've put a box fan up against the window and there's a breeze, but it's just a hot breeze. I'm going to freeze some bottles to place out there for them, but they won't be ready until tomorrow. My babies look miserable.
hit.gif

Amy

Back
Top Bottom