My chicks 1st night out in coop

It took my girls a while to be comfortable on a roost. I think some of them were 3 months old before they slept on the roost, and then only because it was a new coop and they had to rethink the sleeping arrangements. Of course they all slept on the 4' roost rather than the 2' roost. Higher is better, I guess. It requires maturity to feel safe roosting, I understand.

Quote:

My 4 and 5 week olds went into the coop with my 9 week olds for the first time. I too, was a nervous wreck! I went outside to check on them and when they saw me, they all started peeping, and ran to the fence! I brought one of those "fold Up chairs in a bag" and sat in the chicken pen. My older birds weren't allowing the babies to get inside their house, so the babies began perching on me! I had one on my head, one on my shoulder, one on my chest, one on my arm, and 3 in my lap! Finally I got them settled, but I still worried about my babies. I even got up in the middle of the night to check on them!
fl.gif

Today, they act like they've been there forever.
wee.gif

Your babies will be just fine and so will you honey.
hugs.gif

I just seperated my chicks today. They are a few weeks apart and the size is starting to really show. The bigger birds are in a new encloser but not the coop. This will be my first time introducing new chickens to my existing flock and I only want to do it once. I have tried to read up to make the transition as smooth as possible. It seems like every step creates more sleepless nights. My bigger birds are fully feathered so they should be fine but......... you never know. At least that is what I tell myself.

Hello everyone, Thank you so much for your reply's. So happy to know that I'm not losing it:weee:celebrate
ya.gif
I didn't sleep well. I kept checking on them about every half hour before going to bed. My husband kept telling me, "Kim they are alright" I just couldn't help it. Well, I went down first thing this morning at 5:00 am and they were running around having a ball in their coop. They seemed very happy. Thank God!!! If I had seen them huddled up looking scared I would of brought them right back in tonight. I like the electric fence idea, and chicken cam. Don't know if I could convince hubby of that. This site is so awesome, I love having people to talk to about chickens. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I wish you all a peaceful calm with your babys first venture out to stay in their new homes.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom