My chicks are 6 weeks old

scott6150

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Brown's Point, WA
Can I put them out in their coop without a heat lamp? It's around 40 at night, and 50-60 during the day, and they have most of their adult feathers. Also, after I let them out in their run, should they have water available in the coop, or just outside?

I turned the heat lamp on at night only. I used a red bulb so not to disturb their sleep cycle. I also think it helped them settle in faster because of the familiarity of the light in a new environment. I imagine they will be ok during the day as long as they have access to the sunlight. Far from a pro, but this is my experience

At six weeks they should be fully feathered and not longer need a heat lamp. The temperatures you have are well with in their comfort range. Water in the coop or out in the run will work.

Mine are 6 weeks old. They are fully feathered. I turned off the heat lamp three nights ago and one got smothered and died. I'm going to leave it on at night now and turn it off during the day. I'll turn it off when the weather is warmer at night.

Sorry to hear that happened. At six weeks they usually don't press that hard that when they huddle. Mine have just turned six weeks, been turning the light off during the days for about a week. They have actually gone into the late night before I turned it on.

Our youngest are 8 weeks, I know it's a bit older, but they seem to be coping through our winter at the moment. At six weeks, they are fully feathered and should be fine. Plus, if you have a silky, you might be lucky for her to half mother them and sit with them when they sleep.

Back
Top Bottom