My chicks are about 3 weeks old. Under supervision can i let them roam around and eat grass and bugs

images

Absolutely!! I always start my chicks around 2 or 2 1/2 weeks old on field trips to the out of doors. But yes, ALWAYS supervise and never leave them alone for one second. They can disappear very easily and are hawk and dog bait for sure. Keep it short on that first day as this can stress them a bit, but you can increase the time each day. I start with about 15 mins that first day. And make sure it is a nice day. At least 50 degrees, sun shining and no wind.

You will need to start offering grit to them since they will be eating things that require the gizzard. Parakeet grit from the bird section of the pet or grocery store is great for chicks.

Enjoy your new babies! They will love their field trips outside! You can even start the intro to the coop as well so when they go out there permanently, they will feel like they are at home.

Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows said. Your chicks will will enjoy themselves after a day or two. Also if you don't have them in a cage, be careful if they get scared and spook, they are pretty fast at that age and can really take off.

Back
Top Bottom