My chicks are afraid of me. So discouraged.

Very cute chicks! I have pretty much the same advice as everyone else. Spend time on their level, put some food in your hand and let them come to you, make sure to move slowly. Also, your clothes can make a difference. Last year's chicks were terrified of my daughter's brown and pink plaid pants and my husband's green plaid shirt. Not of people in general or of other plaids, just those 2 items... My daughter once scared them, quickly changed pants, came back in and the ran up to her chirping as if saying"did you see that scary monster a minute ago??" 😂
Even though it seems like it from all the pictures, not every chicken can become a lap chicken. I have 7 adult chickens, only 1 loves to snuggle. 2 others will sometimes sit on my lap. The rest can be handled and will sometimes sit by me if I'm on the ground, but they didn't even start that until they were several months old and we spent HOURS with them as chicks. Have patience and they will eventually get there😊

I am a first time chicken owner, so this is my very limited experience.

From 1-4 weeks old when my ladies where in the house brooder. I sat with my hand full of food for 15-30 minute sessions. They learned not to completely fear me. Eating from my hand, no petting just me talking in my normal level. They got used to me sitting with them but didn't like to be handled.
20210403_141745.jpg

I moved them to the enclosed coup at about 4 weeks, so they didn't have my company as often. I was worried I'd loss what trust I had gained. So, more of me sitting with the coup open, sometimes holding food - often just me talking and watching (blocking the exit). They always come up to see what I have or what I'm doing. I would weekly take out Greek yogurt and "spoon feed" them. (Hold out a spoonful and let them eat from it.) So, that helped them want to see me. At this time I had two ladies that would come sit in my hand or crawl on my arm.
20210412_182430.jpg

Now at ~8 weeks. I have a few that come and sit on me. I went full crazy chicken lady and am so fortunate to live this dream. Weather permitting I sit outside for at least 10 mins in the run (often much longer). Sometimes listening to audio books, often just sitting there decompressing from my day. I bring food, treats, yard weeds, kitchen scraps, etc. I let them eat and let them come to me. Most of them want to be near me. They will perch near me. Some want or tolerate pets, others just want to sit near me no touching.
20210504_184257.jpg

20210513_153138.jpg

Dandelion is my star in these pictures. She flys up to my chest or shoulder if I am standing. Or hops into my lap & arms, if sitting. She is the most friendly. The other SLW will sit near me but gets annoyed when I pet her chest. So I leave her alone. Unless I mix them up but I figure it out quickly I was wrong.

So, my limited experience advice is: go sit there with them, hand out with food. Be patient & persistent. I wish you luck!

Hi Everyone!
First time trying to raise chickens. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. They are so afraid of me. I have always tried to pet them, interact with them but now they scream and fly out of their baby pool where they live, for the time being. Then I try to catch them to put them back in and chaos erupts. Then I spend the next half hour cleaning poop off my floor. Theirs not mine lol. It’s so difficult to even feed them and change their water. I really tried to do all the research and webinars I could. Perhaps I was just not prepared properly. I look at all the photos of chicks chilling with their humans and running up to them with glee. Mine are worse every day. I guess I’m just looking for a little encouragement. Thank you!

Hi, no worries, they will learn and you will teach them. It takes diligence and repetition. They need to associate you with good things like safety and comfort. The first comfort is food!
I mix some starter feed with water and put a lump of it in my hand, on the tip of my fingers. I get down low and extend my hand-palm up on the floor. I keep my body and head low - almost to their level. I stay very still. I talk softly, keep my hand still. If they won't come to your hand, put the mash in a small, wide cup with a handle (like a plastic measuring cup) and hold on to it and wait until they approach. Let them get used to being close to you. First they learn you are not a threat - then they learn you provide good things to eat.
If they watch me pour water into the feed and stir it with my finger, they get curious, so I do this on the brooder floor.

The trick is to stay low and still, talk softly - no sudden movements. First time they come near, don't talk and just allow them to be curious. They will see they are safe - they came near you and nothing happened! Do this many times a day and always the same way. Once they eat the mash, you can hold out the cup in one hand and put some food on the tip of your fingers on the other hand and lay that hand out too, for other chicks.
Be still and no sudden moves. When they eat I talk very low, "good girl", "hi sweetie', etc.
Repetition is key. They will learn they can eat from your hand and climb onto it.

Even if you just sit next to them and read a book or listen to a podcast or play on your phone, and put one hand in the pool with or without food and ignore them, they will get used to your presence.
Your chicks are older than mine so you might have something they like more than mushy feed- but even my old hens get excited about it...whatever works.

And when a chick eats out of my hand or stands on my hand to eat, I say "Hi Cleo"... Associate their name with being fed and it will help them learn their names.
Hang in there, be determined and be patient. You are teaching them through repetition and reward. Good luck!

I am a first time chicken owner, so this is my very limited experience.

From 1-4 weeks old when my ladies where in the house brooder. I sat with my hand full of food for 15-30 minute sessions. They learned not to completely fear me. Eating from my hand, no petting just me talking in my normal level. They got used to me sitting with them but didn't like to be handled.
View attachment 2667498
I moved them to the enclosed coup at about 4 weeks, so they didn't have my company as often. I was worried I'd loss what trust I had gained. So, more of me sitting with the coup open, sometimes holding food - often just me talking and watching (blocking the exit). They always come up to see what I have or what I'm doing. I would weekly take out Greek yogurt and "spoon feed" them. (Hold out a spoonful and let them eat from it.) So, that helped them want to see me. At this time I had two ladies that would come sit in my hand or crawl on my arm.
View attachment 2667515
Now at ~8 weeks. I have a few that come and sit on me. I went full crazy chicken lady and am so fortunate to live this dream. Weather permitting I sit outside for at least 10 mins in the run (often much longer). Sometimes listening to audio books, often just sitting there decompressing from my day. I bring food, treats, yard weeds, kitchen scraps, etc. I let them eat and let them come to me. Most of them want to be near me. They will perch near me. Some want or tolerate pets, others just want to sit near me no touching.
View attachment 2667527
View attachment 2667533
Dandelion is my star in these pictures. She flys up to my chest or shoulder if I am standing. Or hops into my lap & arms, if sitting. She is the most friendly. The other SLW will sit near me but gets annoyed when I pet her chest. So I leave her alone. Unless I mix them up but I figure it out quickly I was wrong.

So, my limited experience advice is: go sit there with them, hand out with food. Be patient & persistent. I wish you luck!
Excellent!!

Very cute chicks! I have pretty much the same advice as everyone else. Spend time on their level, put some food in your hand and let them come to you, make sure to move slowly. Also, your clothes can make a difference. Last year's chicks were terrified of my daughter's brown and pink plaid pants and my husband's green plaid shirt. Not of people in general or of other plaids, just those 2 items... My daughter once scared them, quickly changed pants, came back in and the ran up to her chirping as if saying"did you see that scary monster a minute ago??" 😂
Even though it seems like it from all the pictures, not every chicken can become a lap chicken. I have 7 adult chickens, only 1 loves to snuggle. 2 others will sometimes sit on my lap. The rest can be handled and will sometimes sit by me if I'm on the ground, but they didn't even start that until they were several months old and we spent HOURS with them as chicks. Have patience and they will eventually get there😊

I read that too fast and thought your husband had pink plaid pants on and I was going to say "No wonder they were scared!"

I would just sit with them for a while with my hand laying as still as possible mine all fall asleep by my hand but i ordered them and have almost been with them from day one but my lavender orps i got from tractor supply on the other hand are just starting to trust Me give it time it will get better!:)

I've found the harder I try the more edgy they become. The whole stay at their level (to include your hands going into their space) is a game changer until they get to know your voice and recognize your movements. As many have said around here... chasing a chicken is futile no matter how old they are. They are all flight, no fight. Let them get comfy and come to you. Treats matter.
I'm trying to get some hen raised chicks to warm up to me currently and that is TOUGH! Even though their mama loves me. I have brahmas and buckeyes which are pretty social. The breed traits can definitely matter
Yes!! I have 9 week old broody raised chicks who have never quite warmed up to me. They are extremely skittish around me. Totally different than raising chicks in a brooder! Luckily they will follow the older chickens and have learned treat time so I can corral them if needed but it’s not as easy as with the older ones!

Thank you everyone! You are all so right! You’re suggestions are perfect! I can imagine that coming after them from above is kind of like Homer Simpson chasing Bart. Lol I found a treat that they loved to eat out of my hand. Grated hard boiled egg! They loved it! I just wish that once they fly out of there pool they would learn to fly back in instead of just crying. They will learn tho. I put a bigger heavier tarp on the floor and screen gated their little chicken room so they can’t come strolling and pooping in the living room. Now we are both happier. Yeah!! Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom