My chicks are afraid of me. So discouraged.

I've noticed that the most exciting and joyful thing for chicks to do is squeak and run away from the food giving human. I really think it's a game for them. I've had chicks sit on my shoulders under my hair and still jump and run. Silly birds.

Lots of good advice. My 12 chicks are almost 6 weeks old now and since I put them in the run outside when they were 3 weeks old they started to see me as a safety figure because they were scared of being outdoors even though their run is completely secure.
I had to stay in the run so they could come out from under the coop to eat and play.
After they became comfortable in the run I started to supervise their free range for an hour or so when they were 5 weeks old. They always stay near me and often hang out right under my feet.
Still, when I pick them up to check their body or to put those that stay outside even after seeing an eagle into the run, they scream like I'm going to kill them. It's funny how their instinct works.
It'd be nice they could overcome their instinct and be calmer and friendlier when picked up when they are older as some people here said.
Actually some started to jump on my arms or back agile ago but I didn't let them because I didn't like their poopy feet soiling my clothes. I wonder if things would be different if I had let them.

Back
Top Bottom