my chicks are almost 2 months and getting very dusty. my dogs eyes are swelling and goopy

caitlyn p

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
So like i said we've had our chickens almost 2 months now and they are super dusty these days! They are still inside and a couple days ago i noticed my dog was squinting and his eyes were extremely red. I made an appointment with the vet and she prescribed an antibiotic and eyedrops but but unable to give me a cause. I mentioned that we had chickens and ahe said it was unlikley jnless the dust had built up in his system? I dont think she understood that they have just recently became noticeably dusty.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their dog and what they did about it. I dont want to get rid on my girls. Right now they are in the laundry room and he isnt allowed in there. We are careful to wash our hands after handling them and i have even been changing clothes. Sometimes i still catch him sniffing outside of the door though.Do you think this will get better once they are outside permanently?

Any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
I haven't experienced it but dogs can get allergies so maybe he is allergic to them.
However, once you move them outside and do a good clean down of the room if it really is the girls he should get over it. I brooded in the house once and once was enough for me. I tried to keep the dust contained to one room but it does stray and it gets over everything. Good luck with your dog and the chicks.

Do you think i can move them outside now? The guy at the feed store said they need 6 months inside. Another lady said 3 months so im hesitant to put them out there. I live in California right now our weather is a little all over the place 60-80 degrees. Some people said to put the heat lamp out there but ours is a plug in and we dont have power also the heat lamp os rather large and the coop is somewhay small here is a pic

I never use the heat lamp for them inside because i never see them huddled together anymore the all sleep next to eachother but right when they are done with a nap they are up and moving around here is a pic of them from a couple days ago

As long as the weather is reasonably ambient, and you aren't experiencing huge temperature swings (60 during the day, freezing at night), chicks are considered fully feathered at five weeks and can go outside.

I bet your feed store guy meant "six weeks." :)

Get those dusty chickens out of your house!!!

MrsB

Last edited:
1 more question. I usually leave the food and water in the run but should i put it in the coop with them at night?

For me i take the food and water inside and back out in the morning. I let them out pretty early so it works for me. Once they are in the coop they roost and arent really eating at night. If i know that i am not going to be able to let them out till later i will put it inside.

Back
Top Bottom