My Chicks are Crazy!

serinat

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Michigan
I have 26 buff orpingtons (one week old) in my bathroom.

First off, they make so much dust! People told me that, and I read it, but I didn't really understand it until now. The dust! It's everywhere! I need them out of the house soon...

Second, and most importantly, these chickies freak out every time I come near them. Every time I change their water, give them more food, refresh their bedding, etc. they freak out, cheep like mad, run in circles, huddle in the corner, and so on. Are all chicks like this? Or did I just get a batch of skittish ones?

They will do that -- Right now, it sounds like whenever you come in, their "world" is disrupted - One thing I try to do is to come around after their bedding is changed, food set, etc. I sit down, and just talk to them softly - they come to associate me with more than just disruption of their world - if that makes any sense..they usually calm down, come over to check me out..and I just sit still and let them... *shrugs* I get to look at them and they get to look at me! *LOL*.

The chicks are scared - and genetically wired to be under a mama hen's wing who keeps them warm and protected -- I guess I expect them to be worked up when I change things in their world --

So you just have chicks - all chicks are skittish when they are young.. and they will get worse before they get better!! At some point before they have all of their feathers, I've always had them go through a really timid period.

Sometimes they aren't very friendly until they are older.. though there are usually a few that will be more friendly than the others.

Good luck!!!

I put chick feed in my hand and they eat from my hand. The first time I did it they all backed away and slowly a couple would come check it out, eat some then the others wanted to know what was going on. Now when I put my hand in, the will backup but as soon as my hand stops moving they run over like mad. They even get up on my hand by themselves and just sit there. I can take my hand out with them on there and they don't even try and get down. With patience and time they are getting to know me. My chicks are a week and couple days old now. Try the feed in the hand.

Back
Top Bottom