My chicks are dying!!

Yes the temp in thier container is about 95, we are using shavings to hold in a little more heat, I want to find out if it has teflon but I'm only a kid and my mom refuses to let me check because she doesn't think that's an issue. She just want these ones to either make it or die and she says she won't get more
check anyway. whether or not she listens to you, that's her problem, but if the worst does happen, now you can either know the cause, or narrow it down.

Yes the temp in thier container is about 95, we are using shavings to hold in a little more heat, I want to find out if it has teflon but I'm only a kid and my mom refuses to let me check because she doesn't think that's an issue. She just want these ones to either make it or die and she says she won't get more
I'm sorry. It's really hard when you aren't the one in decision making authority. It can feel helpless sometimes. I have bought chicks from Hoover's (even twice this year) and never had a problem with them. But we are in Florida so shipping stress due to cold isn't as much of an issue.

Will your mom let you give them a nutri-drench?

If you have the box from the lamp, it may be on there - or if you know the brand, you can look it up online. But defying your parents to look at the light is not a wise decision. It's likely to start an argument that will detract from other causes we may be able to help you with.

What type of shavings are you using? Is this the same heater you've been using for years, or is it new?

How much room do they have to get away from the heat? You said your family has been doing this 15 years? So you've been doing this since you were really young.

Can you post some pics of the set up?
She wont let me into see them but its about 4 feet long and 2 or so feet wide, half of that is protected and in the shade, food is on one side of the container water is on the other

What type of shavings are you using? Is this the same heater you've been using for years, or is it new?
We've been using this heat lamp for two years, laster year about half our chicks dropped dead too which is why I'm pretty sure its the heat lamp but my mom says the others would have already dropped dead. We're using medium fine pine shavings

She wont let me into see them but its about 4 feet long and 2 or so feet wide, half of that is protected and in the shade, food is on one side of the container water is on the other
You don't happen to know them temp on the shaded side?

That doesn't sound too small. I'm so sorry. It could be shipping stress. I know it's hard to lose them though.

Do y'all not usually raise chicks? You said she wasn't going to do chicks anymore? But 15 years is a long time. Are you in a cold location?

I'm sorry. It's really hard when you aren't the one in decision making authority. It can feel helpless sometimes. I have bought chicks from Hoover's (even twice this year) and never had a problem with them. But we are in Florida so shipping stress due to cold isn't as much of an issue.

Will your mom let you give them a nutri-drench?

If you have the box from the lamp, it may be on there - or if you know the brand, you can look it up online. But defying your parents to look at the light is not a wise decision. It's likely to start an argument that will detract from other causes we may be able to help you with.
No she doesn't want to do a drench, I don't know what box it came from and since she wont let me look at the lamp itself I cant tell. She wont let because she says they all would have dropped dead by now and same with last years brood where we used the same lamp and only about half just dropped dead

You don't happen to know them temp on the shaded side?

That doesn't sound too small. I'm so sorry. It could be shipping stress. I know it's hard to lose them though.

Do y'all not usually raise chicks? You said she wasn't going to do chicks anymore? But 15 years is a long time. Are you in a cold location?
I'm not sure what the temp is on the cool side but its much cooler. We recently moved to Indiana two years ago when the issue started. She doesn't want to do it anymore because last years flock did the same thing where half of them dropped which is why I think the heat lamp has teflon but she won't let me check

No she doesn't want to do a drench, I don't know what box it came from and since she wont let me look at the lamp itself I cant tell. She wont let because she says they all would have dropped dead by now and same with last years brood where we used the same lamp and only about half just dropped dead
I wish I knew what to say. She's probably used the same brand for a long time and is familiar with it. If that's the case, she's probably right and it's not the lamp.

It's more likely shipping stress. Indiana is pretty cold. Some birds don't deal as well as others. Hatching your own isn't any easier. Then you are fussing over humidity and temperature and then have babies to raise - unless you have a broody who does all the work of hatching and raising.

I really hope the rest of the babies pull through. If y'all do try again, maybe y'all can get some from a local person so they aren't being shipped. I'm really so sad you are having to go through this.

I wish I knew what to say. She's probably used the same brand for a long time and is familiar with it. If that's the case, she's probably right and it's not the lamp.

It's more likely shipping stress. Indiana is pretty cold. Hatching your own isn't any easier. Then you are fussing over humidity and temperature and then have babies to raise - unless you have a broody who does all the work of hatching and raising.

I really hope the rest of the babies pull through.
I do too, thanks for the help thou!

Back
Top Bottom