MY CHICKS ARE HATCHING!!!!!!

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.

What's the humidity at now and did you calibrate your sensor? increase ventilation for oxygen and try to raise humidity if you have to with a sponge or rag.

About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.
:ya:pop

It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?

It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?
Shouldn't have to worry about shrink wrapping until after they have externally pipped.

I JUST SEEN IT MOVE😍 little stinker is determined I thought the egg was going to flop completely over😄
Sounds like chick is positioning to pip. Just sit tight and let things happen doing less is usually better. It can take 24hrs or more after external pip.
I read that if they are shrink wrapped they can move at all. I'll take egg movement as a good sign! It makes me feel a lot less anxious to know what's going on thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom