MY CHICKS ARE HATCHING!!!!!!

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.

Secondof9

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
SE of Seattle WA
About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.
:ya:pop

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?

Huntmaster

Crowing
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?
Shouldn't have to worry about shrink wrapping until after they have externally pipped.

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
I JUST SEEN IT MOVE😍 little stinker is determined I thought the egg was going to flop completely over😄
Sounds like chick is positioning to pip. Just sit tight and let things happen doing less is usually better. It can take 24hrs or more after external pip.
I read that if they are shrink wrapped they can move at all. I'll take egg movement as a good sign! It makes me feel a lot less anxious to know what's going on thank you 😊

Top Bottom